Silver Lake Dunes (Michigan)...please share what you know.

TheSPAINishLover

Reaction score
It looks like these are the closest (~9 hour drive) dunes to me and where I'd like to make a few trips this Spring/Summer.

Has anyone been?  If so, please share your experience, tips for camping, etc.  Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what i've read its small and they regulate how many people can get in I do believe or how many people are allowed on the dunes.i think its like 7-800 acres.

from what i've read its small and they regulate how many people can get in I do believe or how many people are allowed on the dunes.i think its like 7-800 acres.
It is small but it’s the closest place to me to get a bit of sand action.  I plan on hitting the Outer Banks as well, to ride my ATC70, but that’s all beach.

I've never been but I saw some post about an inspection station or something?    Also aren't the Michigan guys all the guys with the whips on the front of their machines.   It makes sense but looks kind of weird when you are used to glamis.

I've never been but I saw some post about an inspection station or something?    Also aren't the Michigan guys all the guys with the whips on the front of their machines.   It makes sense but looks kind of weird when you are used to glamis.
Yes, it is a requirement there to mount your whip on the front. I commented on another forum about this and a guy responded that he thought having it on top or the rear of the car was weird.  :classic_biggrin:

Want to say it's a noise inspection with a dB meter

its been about 8 years or so since I've been. yes it is small, I think it's more like 400 acres. I took my Ram 2500, aired down the tires and went everywhere anyone could go. it's all 1 direction so you can't really carve too much. they have a limit of how many can be in the area at a time so they issue "vouchers" that you have to obtain no more than 1 day ahead of time....wanna go Saturday, wait in line on Friday to get your voucher. wanna also go on Sunday, wait in line on Saturday to get your voucher. as far as I recall there were just 2 time periods they allowed entry and again it was a long line and wait to enter. they did checks on decibels, and whip height (and maybe other things too). maybe things have changed since I was last there but this is what I recall.

They like to be different in MI. I think they may have finally retired them, but until recently the state troopers had these signs on the hood where they could light the "STOP" up red when they pulled up next to you. I have only been to the UP (sledding and dirt biking), and it is a different world.

image.png

Back