Side by side chassis strength

Dune Doc

Reaction score
I have seen the new Speed car in person, the chassis is beefy, as are the A arms and trailing arms. I would love to see a bigger motor in that car. 
Equally, I like the new Maverick R and the Pro R. Just wondering though, between the new Can-am R and the Polaris Pro R, which chassis is stronger? I watched the video of all the repairs that were being done at Joe Fab’s place during the Camp Rzr weekend and many Can-ams were in there with frame damage. The tubing looked very thin and fragile. Of course, it wasn’t the new Maverick R in his shop. Did Can-am beef up the chassis on the new model? Does the Pro R have a better chassis than the Maverick R? I’m asking because I am interested in purchasing a side by side in the next year or two. I’m waiting to see what the new engine/tranny options are going to be in the next couple of years before I buy, but a strong chassis is paramount. 

Look around any given weekend in Glamis and you’ll see more Can Ams than anything else. 

The chassis isn’t strong though, and it’s stable enough to get you into trouble very quickly. 

New Maverick frame is beefed up, but history says the Polaris frame should be tougher. Like you said: we shall see. 

Both the Polaris Pro R and new Maverick R have much beefier frames.    Can Am addressed the shortcomings of the X3 frame with the new Maverick R frame.  There is a lot more tubing, gussets, and suspension mounting points are double shear.

I think either one will hold up for a long time.   Just have to decide which one you like to drive.  

Hopefully you were able to make out to Camp RZR and take each for a test drive. 

Both the Polaris Pro R and new Maverick R have much beefier frames.    Can Am addressed the shortcomings of the X3 frame with the new Maverick R frame.  There is a lot more tubing, gussets, and suspension mounting points are double shear.

I think either one will hold up for a long time.   Just have to decide which one you like to drive.  

Hopefully you were able to make out to Camp RZR and take each for a test drive. 
Thanks Sand Shark. That is the info that I was looking for. I will absolutely drive each one before I pull the trigger on one. 

There's a reason the aftermarket SxS cage industry is doing well. It's not because the factory cages are stout. 

There's a reason the aftermarket SxS cage industry is doing well. It's not because the factory cages are stout. 
I agree completely. I think it is always a good idea to have an after market cage built. My concern has always been with the strength of the rest of the frame, including the A arms, trailing arms and the mounts that support them. 

Wait long enough and I'm going to have the perfect trailer for you.

Speed UTV

speed-UTV-4-seater-el-jefe-chassis-triangulation-1-650x366.jpg

2024 Polaris Pro R

rzr-pro-r-my24-b6c9-pillar-02-carousel-02-xxs.jpg

2024 Maverick 2 seater

IMG_3077.jpg

No argument they have all come a long way from their early days when we drove Farm/Gold Course Equipment in the Dunes   :lol:

Speed UTV

2024 Polaris Pro R

2024 Maverick 2 seater

No argument they have all come a long way from their early days when we drove Farm/Gold Course Equipment in the Dunes   :lol:
Excellent post Crusty! Easy to see the differences in the configuration of each chassis. I'm sure there are differences in the type and size of the tubing that is used on each chassis as well.

Excellent post Crusty! Easy to see the differences in the configuration of each chassis. I'm sure there are differences in the type and size of the tubing that is used on each chassis as well.
Yep.  OD and location being more important than wall-thickness unless you're rubbing it against rocks or expecting to re-use it after multiple crashes.  A 2" OD x 0.083" wall tube will be stronger than a 1.75" OD x 0.095" wall tube.

I looked at a lot of RZR Pro-R's and Maverick r's this weekend I think the biggest fix beyond the weak Arm fix is that the pick up points on the frame are better and the bolts are beefier - thats a huge improvement IMO

I looked at a lot of RZR Pro-R's and Maverick r's this weekend I think the biggest fix beyond the weak Arm fix is that the pick up points on the frame are better and the bolts are beefier - thats a huge improvement IMO
I think all of them are using 14mm bolts.  

I'm sure a lot more investigation would be needed, and tube information. When I look at the A pillar of the Pro r and its design, it looks stronger than the Can Am A pillar. This is imo a very critical area as this is what causes driver, passenger bodily damage when crushed. 

I'm sure a lot more investigation would be needed, and tube information. When I look at the A pillar of the Pro r and its design, it looks stronger than the Can Am A pillar. This is imo a very critical area as this is what causes driver, passenger bodily damage when crushed. 
Very estute observation. I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

Back