Shock Tuning

Sand Shark

Reaction score
Just wanted to let people know that if they need their shocks done on their X3 - Tom Morris and Gary Fries at UTV Shocks are top notch and customer service is top notch as well.

I had my shocks on my old X3 done by Tom and went right back to him when I got my new X3.   His shock set up for the desert was perfect  as he gave it to me.  I have a few Glamis trips on the shocks and had to make adjustments as the dunes have a lot more g-outs.  I ended up having to completely close up (stiffen) the high and low speed compression on the rear shocks and move the cross-over rings for the dunes.   The group I ride with tend to go a little quicker than most SXS groups so with faster speeds you tend to come into the transitions a little faster.  Plus I lead a lot of the rides and don't get the luxury of the 3rd car in line being able to see what is going on and adjust. 

I was talking to Tom yesterday about what adjustments I made to the shocks for the sand and how the car was handling.  Without hesitation he told me to bring him the rear shocks so he can change up the valving and he will get them done before I take off to Glamis for my Christmas/New Years trip.  Fortunately, I am not too far from Tom. So last night I took the shocks off and dropped them off this morning.  Hung out at a Starbucks and got some work done and in less than 2 hours he called me and said the shocks were done.  

Can't wait to see how the shocks work with the changes.

I highly recommend Tom and Gary at UTV Shocks for shock work on the X3.  I say the X3 because I am not sure if they do any shock work for the XP.  You would have to call and asked. 

Top notch, for sure. They were primo tuners before the other guys knew what a shock is.

Thats good service. I had to make the same adjustment on mine for the dunes after Shock Therapy did mine but they offered nothing.

I need to give A + to Simpson seats. I have a set of the Pro Sports in my X3. Found the rear tabs broke on my adapter plate. I have had the seats for 2 years I gave them a call to find out if they updated them. I have a fat butt and drive hard so I did not blame them. They are sending me 2 new ones under Warranty the next day. It's so nice to see good service and a company stand behind there product in the offroad industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top notch, for sure. They were primo tuners before the other guys knew what a shock is.
Pretty much.  Tom and Gary are a fountain of knowledge going back to Ivan Stewart days and even before then. 

I have to say Tom is a magic man with these Can Am shocks.  The new set up he gave me for the rear shocks worked awesome all weekend.  Did not have any issues with smacking the rear skid plate.   I was able to hit the transitions with more speed and did not smack the rear.  Only time I hit the skids was launching off a good size drop off at 60mph.  It was a larger drop off than I thought (4' at least) and overshot the good part of the landing area.  That was a full skid touch.  LOL!  

Been thinking of doing this for a while and was hunting for a good shock man. Would never give the guy in Az any work and the fireman did some for me before, but he was hard to get a hold of it was only a side job for him then. After sandsharks write up on this I called UTV shocks and spoke to Tom. After talking to him I took my shocks off my X3 and gave them to Tom. Took it out yesterday, what a difference. Rides a hundred times better. He did exactly what he said and had them done is a week. Great guy definitely would use him again. Thanks for the info.

Been thinking of doing this for a while and was hunting for a good shock man. Would never give the guy in Az any work and the fireman did some for me before, but he was hard to get a hold of it was only a side job for him then. After sandsharks write up on this I called UTV shocks and spoke to Tom. After talking to him I took my shocks off my X3 and gave them to Tom. Took it out yesterday, what a difference. Rides a hundred times better. He did exactly what he said and had them done is a week. Great guy definitely would use him again. Thanks for the info.
I prefer to get my shocks tuned to my preferences, in person.

The shock guy I use and recommend doesn't do shocks by mail, he meets you where you like to drive and rides with you, then adjusts/changes valving based on what the customer says he wants. Shock tuning is partially about the shortcomings of the stock setup and partially about the owner's driving style and desires. Not everyone likes the same valving.

Sherlock what a great statement. Tom met me on his way to a tuning session for someone. He would be more than happy to meet me somewhere for fine tuning if needed. He asks what your weight is and where I drive plus any extras on the car. Only put a hundred mile on it yesterday in the valley and the mountains. One of these trips I'll take it to the sand and see how it does there, but mainly only use this thing around the house.

Glad to hear you went with Tom and are happy.  He does a really good job and his service it top notch. 

I prefer to get my shocks tuned to my preferences, in person.

The shock guy I use and recommend doesn't do shocks by mail, he meets you where you like to drive and rides with you, then adjusts/changes valving based on what the customer says he wants. Shock tuning is partially about the shortcomings of the stock setup and partially about the owner's driving style and desires. Not everyone likes the same valving.
Tom sets up your shocks for your driving style and set up.  Just have to give him as much information as possible.   I could meet him in Barstow for fine tuning when he is out there tuning shocks for the racers. 

My rear shocks needed a revision and the revision was spot on for me.    

Back