Shock covers...necessary?

SYBIZ

Reaction score
Putting Bilstein 5100's on my truck. They come with the black boots installed on them. You never see boots on King Shocks or Fox shocks. I can see needing them if you live somewhere with bad weather but do I need these ugly boots here in So Cal? 

Get neon blue & pink!  80s flashback!

when i put the bilsteins on my truck i didnt use the boot. no issues. have not had any boots on my shocks since my 86 toyota with rancho shocks. 

when i put the bilsteins on my truck i didnt use the boot. no issues. have not had any boots on my shocks since my 86 toyota with rancho shocks. 
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the feedback. 

I have 5100s on my Dmax, on my 93 ZJ and on the back of my motorhome. All of them came with the boots already installed and all of the shocks are mounted boots up so don't even see them :dunno:

I would imagine that they would help keep dust off the shaft and off the seal.

One of the many reasons you don’t see shock boots on race shocks is you want to cool the shocks. The boots don’t let air help cool the shock shafts. Some run a rock guard but very few do. 

On your passenger vehicle the boots are good to help protect the shafts & seals from debris & nicks. The shafts are not the same quality as race shocks. Plus your not servicing or rebuilding your street vehicle shocks. You want them to last 100,000 miles, unlike a race shock you service after a race or season on a play car. 

Back