selling a domain name

jareddustin

Reaction score
has anyone ever sold a domain name? we have a couple that we dont use that GoDaddy is saying have a value of around $1,500 each. who knows if they would really sell for that or not but it got our interest up. GoDaddy has the service to sell through them but im not sure what percent they take.

is there a better way to go about selling it rather than using GoDaddy? its just a little bit of bonus money so would be nice to get the most possible but ease of transaction is also important. 

I've worked for companies that want to buy a domain name and they can go for way more than that ($10K - $150K+).  I'm not saying yours would be worth that, but if it's something that fits a product, service or company perfectly that amount is a drop in the bucket compared to what a company can profit from it.  Following this thread to see other's input...

I've worked for companies that want to buy a domain name and they can go for way more than that ($10K - $150K+).  I'm not saying yours would be worth that, but if it's something that fits a product, service or company perfectly that amount is a drop in the bucket compared to what a company can profit from it.  Following this thread to see other's input...
i been trying to do a little research on what names are selling for. its anywhere from $100 to a million.

flippa.com has a big list of ones for sale. even the ones around the name i have are asking for a big range. $100-$15,000.

i have also found auction sites but that can go either way as well might get a few people bidding might only get one. still doing some research on it. 

all depends on if there is someone that wants the name. the values that godaddy put on it im thinking is from the traffic the site had, or searches maybe? dunno.. @rivermobstermay have better insight on it.

put a webpage on the domain with a for sale sign and your phone number or contact info... that will cut out any middle man.

if anyone ever wants to buy it they will find the contact info on the page and reach out directly.

has anyone ever sold a domain name? we have a couple that we dont use that GoDaddy is saying have a value of around $1,500 each. who knows if they would really sell for that or not but it got our interest up. GoDaddy has the service to sell through them but im not sure what percent they take.

is there a better way to go about selling it rather than using GoDaddy? its just a little bit of bonus money so would be nice to get the most possible but ease of transaction is also important. 
Go Daddy charges $99 to broker the domain name sale and 20% commission of the selling price!! 

I just spoke with a broker from Go Daddy LOL They seem to think the domain I was trying to buy is $8-!0K I offered $1500. They laughed. I said yeah pretty funny how someone has had a domain for almost 20 years and thinks its worth GOLD. I said well, if someone or some company really wanted it, I would think in the last 20 years it would be bought and used.  I said to the broker, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.  He said no it's worth a lot more!!  :rofl:      :bangin:

Go Daddy charges $99 to broker the domain name sale and 20% commission of the selling price!! 

I just spoke with a broker from Go Daddy LOL They seem to think the domain I was trying to buy is $8-!0K I offered $1500. They laughed. I said yeah pretty funny how someone has had a domain for almost 20 years and thinks its worth GOLD. I said well, if someone or some company really wanted it, I would think in the last 20 years it would be bought and used.  I said to the broker, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.  He said no it's worth a lot more!!  :rofl:      :bangin:

thank you for that info. i dont even think it was worth anything we were just going to let it expire. but if we could get a little bit out of it that would be cool. not trying to get rich but maybe just enough get a good lunch for our employees 

put a webpage on the domain with a for sale sign and your phone number or contact info... that will cut out any middle man.

if anyone ever wants to buy it they will find the contact info on the page and reach out directly.
DO this ^ but maybe use an email vs phone #.

If you are not contacted by next renewal, then let it lapse ?

Good luck. 

Sports betting is big right now, so I would imagine those would be the sought after sites.

100% do this. No need for a broker or anything if you own the site and have access to the mx record account.

just write up a contract/bill of sale. Get the # and change the owner info login info. Boom $$$

Back