Sand Hollow any thoughts,

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I know everyone takes a SXS there and a Rock-Buggy, we have stayed there and go to zion or hang on the beach,  But really want to bring the V8 car back in the dunes, 

Might plan a trip next year, little late i think this year,  what is everyone's thoughts 

For us it is only about 2 hour drive, 

this is a Video i found to show how much sand is there, weather would be good in May June time, like to go when the lake is still nice, and like to do it after the season,   PreSeason, dont want to hurt the car, 

Looks similar to Superstition Mt. area east of San Diego we take rails with dirt tires and slide all over the smaller dunes low air pressure get you around pretty good 

B8587F51-916E-4B26-A258-86E434EF5418.jpeg

3AD19CAB-B070-46E8-ADFA-FA67B7188D8C.jpeg

F4A65C2E-34C3-46A7-B30E-A7BE4257E2F7.jpeg

AD3ED176-3DE4-4559-9A9A-59E15C6F42B7.jpeg

PreSeason, dont want to hurt the car
I am still learning as much as I can, please don’t take offense to the question. What is different there during the preseason that will hurt your car? 

I am still learning as much as I can, please don’t take offense to the question. What is different there during the preseason that will hurt your car? 
It's not what is different it would be like blowing out your ACL in a preseason game.  Before "Dune" season starts you don't want to be on the disabled list you want to be on the i am duning list. At the end of the season before you have all summer to do your off season maintenance not that big of a deal to add in a few items to fix. You have the time.

cool video thanks for sharing, most SH videos are little to no dune rides and all rocks or overlook panos.

SH is on a bucket list, just can't get my group to commit on dates.

Like @Drupanddown says: it's similar to Superstition.  There's a decent amount of sand, but the trails getting there and back have enough rock that you'd need throttle to get up that I don't think your paddles would appreciate.  Some sort of wide desert tire or MT with almost no air would get you places with lots of skinny pedal (entertaining). Paddles might be worth bringing if you scout a good run to the sand where your paddles work without getting destroyed, but I'd definitely do the first couple of runs on dirt tires to scout it out.  There's a lot of non rock-crawling trails there to get stupid on, especially in something with a lot of travel and huevos like a buggy.  For a 2 hour investment, definitely worth it.

BTW, when you get your chit hopelessly stuck, call Matt and take a video of the Banana yanking you out. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand Hollow UT looks awesome, what a beautiful place to ride and check out.

Great Video.

I don't know if I would drag a sand car out there, if you do just put some dirt tires on.  Not really big, fast, long enough stretch of dunes to risk paddles getting thrashed.

What a great place for MCs, Quads and UTV's.

also it looks alot like oceano, where the wind only blows one way

this make it hard for new duners, as they don't expect the slip faces and a 10-15ft fall

it all looks like one sand scape and BAM endo!!

you can tell at least in that video they don't run "bowls" or jump into the side faces

We just went this June for the first time. It was very warn and not enjoyable riding during the day. You would have to ride early in the day. Overall it is a nice place. Camping with hook ups, a lake, and an off road area. There is not enough sand to take a buggy. You would not want to run paddles at all. I would recommend going no later than May. I would also suggest to either go to Coral Pink Sand Dunes about 1.5 hours away. Its fun but on the small side, also a little cooler. Plus there is also Little Sahara and that's about 4 hours north.

It's not what is different it would be like blowing out your ACL in a preseason game.  Before "Dune" season starts you don't want to be on the disabled list you want to be on the i am duning list. At the end of the season before you have all summer to do your off season maintenance not that big of a deal to add in a few items to fix. You have the time.
Thanks for the explanation. 

I have friends that live at sandhollow/Washington and plenty of sand for a 1000hp car,  going to plan a trip maybe next year, kind of tight schedule next year with Idaho, Have a set of old 35.5 on Walkers just for there, be fun to drive to hole in the wall with the DD car, 

i guess the other thing is, depends on the sand car, I group is more prerunners, and dual sports, 

MDFY7997.JPG

VCHZ4193.JPG

Watch Matt's off-road recovery on you tube, he tows a lot of vehicles out of Sand Hollow. DON~~~

11 minutes ago, Don Parscale said:

Watch Matt's off-road recovery on you tube, he tows a lot of vehicles out of Sand Hollow. DON~~~

Dumont is the Same, at Dumont if you go up one side, most likely the other side is twice as steep, about the Widest roller at dumont is 12 inches, everthing there is a razor back, Think that is why so many non residence at Dumont and Sand Hollow get hurt,  or Idaho is a lot like Dumont,  If you are only use to Glamis a lot of sand dunes are a eye opener, 

17 hours ago, J Alper said:

I know everyone takes a SXS there and a Rock-Buggy, we have stayed there and go to zion or hang on the beach,  But really want to bring the V8 car back in the dunes, 

Might plan a trip next year, little late i think this year,  what is everyone's thoughts 

For us it is only about 2 hour drive, 

this is a Video i found to show how much sand is there, weather would be good in May June time, like to go when the lake is still nice, and like to do it after the season,   PreSeason, dont want to hurt the car, 

Personally, I don't think you will enjoy taking your car to SH.  Too many rocks, trails too narrow, sand REALLY soft etc....  It is much more suited for Jeeps (35's aired down), or UTV's, Quads, Bikes with paddles.

Personally, I don't think you will enjoy taking your car to SH.  Too many rocks, trails too narrow, sand REALLY soft etc....  It is much more suited for Jeeps (35's aired down), or UTV's, Quads, Bikes with paddles.
I agree. DON~~~

Back