Sail patio covers

Big_Daddy_Jp

Reaction score
I’m looking at having a patio poured soon. I will dig the footings for the uprights and put the proper drop ins in. I’m looking at doing rectangular sails instead of wood for the roof. I live in Alpine ( east San Diego ) and it can get windy here at times. I had a triangle sail I put up over our pool at the old house and it held up good. Only issue was the rope rotting from the sun and then breaking when it was windy. Just wondering if any of you guys have had good or bad experience with these? With the cost of wood these days, this will save me a ton of money and when they fade I can just un-clip them and clip new ones back in. Also, zero maintenance sanding and painting wise! What say you?

They put 2 really big ones in at my son's high-school and they used steel cables instead or rope.  They said that the steel will last 3 or 4 times longer than the sails and that replacing the sails is pretty simple.  They offer that as a service.  

The whole thing was pretty heavy duty with backing plates and long ass cables.  

Down here (fletcher hills) they did not have to worry about snow, so they were perfectly flat.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking at having a patio poured soon. I will dig the footings for the uprights and put the proper drop ins in. I’m looking at doing rectangular sails instead of wood for the roof. I live in Alpine ( east San Diego ) and it can get windy here at times. I had a triangle sail I put up over our pool at the old house and it held up good. Only issue was the rope rotting from the sun and then breaking when it was windy. Just wondering if any of you guys have had good or bad experience with these? With the cost of wood these days, this will save me a ton of money and when they fade I can just un-clip them and clip new ones back in. Also, zero maintenance sanding and painting wise! What say you?

They put 2 really big ones in at my son's high-school and they used steel cables instead or rope.  They said that the steel will last 3 or 4 times longer than the sails and that replacing the sails is pretty simple.  They offer that as a service.  

The whole thing was pretty heavy duty with backing plates and long ass cables.  

Down here (fletcher hills) they did not have to worry about snow, so they were perfectly flat.  
My neighbor (aka Lower Blossom Valley area Lol!) He’s a contractor and also does these huge shade sails. He’s the direct rep and installer for these commercial grade sails in So Cal. He’s does the parks , schools & even the prisons. But I know he’s done these at residences also. 

Ive personally used Mike Powers for my very custom big open beam patio cover. He does awesome work, and I’ve seen pictures of these big shades he’s done before. Id highly recommend him.

PM me if you would like his info. 

Commercial property I work on recently installed some of those. Sails weren't huge, maybe 20' by 20', but the footings they put in for steel posts were enormous. They were about 36" diameter and 5 or 6 ft deep. 

Back