Rzr clutch questions

Family of 4

Reaction score
I have a 2019 RZR turbo S. Last weekend while we were out we heard a clanging sound and we shut the car off and had it towed back to camp. It sounded like it was coming from the primary clutch. I pulled the clutch cover off today and I found one of the bolts that mounts the rear clutch cover to the motor had backed out and was grinding on the fins on the back of the primary clutch. So now I’m wondering if I should take the clutch and get it balanced? Is there a place local to Los Angeles in Orange County that will balance the clutch?  Or do I assume it shaved a little bit off equally and it is still balanced to where it was before this incident?

380A1B42-34CB-4C7B-81CD-C2772F6BEEFE.jpeg

33D99D6D-3F54-4CFF-A63B-F0F6ED6FCD3D.jpeg

F8DA0EAC-68F7-4B6C-BB4C-1A6A68E87377.jpeg

32BCC07B-7F2D-496C-99EB-46C8DDE3921F.jpeg

C38B31C1-5BC1-42C4-9331-FE0526BBB6D7.jpeg

0CAFE32D-F1F7-4F27-8C1F-3BD7327CAA70.jpeg

depends on what you want to do, stock or upgrade to an stm or something along that line. 

It looks like the bolt took off about an equal amount from all the fins.  Slap it back on after you locktite all the clutch cover bolts and run it. 

If that was a Can Am clutch you could just buy that half of the clutch assembly.  I do not think Polaris does that. 

If you do replace it stick with OEM.  Do not do STM.  They are a pain in the ass to tune and require a lot more maintenance and replacement of parts.  

Todd and Hunterworks is knowledgeable on the RZR clutches.  I would give him a call.  He helped me out when had my XP1000. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Already happened to 'The Black One' and it's very common as they don't lock tight those bolts... as I was being shown this at the dealer on mine, I happened to be sitting on the tire (behind me) of another Turbo S with the same issue. They see it all the time and Polaris won't warranty it. Just waiting for it to happen on 'The Orange One.'

Total B.S. they don't cover it. It's the factories fault.

Had to replace my primary as it was toast. We just left in the sheared end of the bolt as there was enough 'meat' to hold the clutch inside cover in. 

Part of owning a Polaris unfortunately.

abc

PS. Thought I'd blown the motor so I wasn't too upset... ugh.

3FD25632-4EEC-49D3-86B5-79A6B465A6AE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Already happened to 'The Black One' and it's very common as they don't lock tight those bolts... as I was being shown this at the dealer on mine, I happened to be sitting on the tire (behind me) of another Turbo S with the same issue. They see it all the time and Polaris won't warranty it. Just waiting for it to happen on 'The Orange One.'

Total B.S. they don't cover it. It's the factories fault.

Had to replace my primary as it was toast. We just left in the sheared end of the bolt as there was enough 'meat' to hold the clutch inside cover in. 

Part of owning a Polaris unfortunately.

abc

PS. Thought I'd blown the motor so I wasn't too upset... ugh.

View attachment 38373
I was relieved it was the bolt slapping the clutch and not an internal issue. 

Me too, a season ago I blew 2 motors in 1 week, 1 hit a rock and cracked the case, leaked all the oil and fried the '14, next week in Glamis put the '21 on it's side (more like the lid) and it cooked the motor. One was insurance and the other warranty so I saved about $17k luckily.

abc

Give him a call.  He always seemed to answer his phone or return calls quickly. 

With the amount of people have upgraded, I would think you could find a used one cheap.

With the amount of people have upgraded, I would think you could find a used one cheap.
Yes, true.

But people only upgrade when theirs is already crappy or going bad...every person I can recall that bought a used one ended up with junk...I think @Mac went thru this headache.

For that, I'd file down the sharp edges, put it back on with some loctite and send it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being balanced.  I don't see this as one of those things that would cause any real damage unless it was WAY out of whack.

I talked to hunterworks and AA they both said file off the burrs and run it so that’s what I’ll do. Thanks for all the replies and if you pull your primary remeber to double check those 3 bolts. 

Back