Rugged RDM-DB Digital Radio Questions

Time2Dune

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new RDM-DB Digital Radios?  I'm looking for a radio to put in my trucks so I can talk to the wife as we are towing out to the desert.

Thanks

We just use 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480Mhz-1800mAh/dp/B074XPB313/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37WTCXDRWQ9RJ&dchild=1&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r&qid=1632164465&sprefix=baof%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-3

We programmed in our "own" couple of channels (FCC po po gonna get me!), but you can just type in whatever and run that.  At 5w or whatever, I doubt you're gonna step on others, but keep it in mind and immediately move to another channel if you hear others on the freq you picked.  

We just use 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480Mhz-1800mAh/dp/B074XPB313/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37WTCXDRWQ9RJ&dchild=1&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r&qid=1632164465&sprefix=baof%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-3

We programmed in our "own" couple of channels (FCC po po gonna get me!), but you can just type in whatever and run that.  At 5w or whatever, I doubt you're gonna step on others, but keep it in mind and immediately move to another channel if you hear others on the freq you picked.  
We tried those last season and I couldn't get very good rage out of them, might have to play with them some more.  Thanks

I might just have to go back to the old CB, HAHA

We tried those last season and I couldn't get very good rage out of them, might have to play with them some more.  Thanks
There are 2 things that determine the range of a radio. Power output and antenna design. They sell an 8w version of that radio for just a little bit more, like 2 for $58 or something.

The stock antenna isn't very good. For portable use, you can upgrade to 14" NA-771 antennas which will give roughly double the range. If you're transmitting from a vehicle, you can use a properly tuned 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna that's been tuned for 153 MHz, the middle of the race radio frequencies. Use a VHF to SMA adapter and you could probably get 10 mi or more out of it on the open road.

Back