Rugged Radio Use With Helmets - School Me Please

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I have Rugged radios and car-to-car in my Rail and SxS. Both cars have the typical headsets. I don't currently wear a helmet in the Rail but am now thinking I should start doing so. If nothing else to set example for my kids. And I've always been confused why the SxS came with headsets when you have to wear helmets? Anyway, what is the best way to be able to wear helmets and use the radios? Is it best to buy helmets that have speakers and mic in them or is it easy to retrofit helmets with the needed equipment? Where does one buy the equipment? I'm in Oregon so I can't just go to vendor row in G and visit the booths to get what I need. Might also be nice to have speakers with decent enough sound quality to play a little music from time to time. Any input is much appreciated. 

PCI should sell the kits. The guys at Jimco install them in helmets all the time. I have never done it but my son has. I believe, just cautiously peel back the padding and hot glue the speakers and mic in. Hot glue the padding back down. I have been standing right next to them doing it. I was not really paying attention but there were no specialty tools being used.  

^^^^^this right here. Our Wildcat XX had Rugged Radio and original owner only used headsets but for here in Cali helmets are required so I bought new Bell helmets wired and setup for fresh air. 
We also wanted the kids to be able to communicate so we bought the kits from RR and installed into there Moto helmets just like PDM said. After having communication,can’t imagine not having it. 

You can install the helmet kits yourself or if you have not bought the helmets yet order ones that are pre-wired from Rugged or PCI.  If you are going with a helmet you might want to consider adding a pumper set up to your rail.  

The Bell Helmet with the transitional lens is a great helmet.   No worries about switching lens from day time to night.  

https://www.ruggedradios.com/collections/helmets

For you guys buying extra helmets for passengers, do you just buy them extra big.  I have 4 seats in my car, and always have different people in the back.

I've installed Rugged helmet wiring kits in some HJC helmets.  It wasn't a very fun job, but it worked.  I later moved to helmets that were prewired by PCI.  I prefer the PCI helmet.  I've used both HJC and Pyrotect helmets that PCI wired and the install is very clean.  I wouldn't wire one myself again unless it was the only option.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. Of course, we already have helmets for everyone so would prefer not to have to buy all new helmets. 

Like I mentioned before,self install of the kits are pretty simple on the man card scale. 

You can also get them from Parker Pumper. I like the helmets where the air comes in the side for more roof clearance, and the air hose also doesn't seem to "ratchet" on the seat backs nearly as much. You can also get them with earplug speakers. They are more hassle to put on but much quieter and easier to hear for people (like me) who have abused their hearing over the years. I have a hard time hearing the wired hand helds that some of my friends use, "real" radios with more power are much better.

I have 4 new in box sets of the rugged helmet wiring kits I would trade for good condition used headsets

Rugged Radios has the Bell Helmets with speakers, mics and provisions for forced air on them. I picked up a set, and I believe they were about $380.00 a piece. Very nice product.

I have Rugged radios and car-to-car in my Rail and SxS. Both cars have the typical headsets. I don't currently wear a helmet in the Rail but am now thinking I should start doing so. If nothing else to set example for my kids. And I've always been confused why the SxS came with headsets when you have to wear helmets? Anyway, what is the best way to be able to wear helmets and use the radios? Is it best to buy helmets that have speakers and mic in them or is it easy to retrofit helmets with the needed equipment? Where does one buy the equipment? I'm in Oregon so I can't just go to vendor row in G and visit the booths to get what I need. Might also be nice to have speakers with decent enough sound quality to play a little music from time to time. Any input is much appreciated. 

I put the Rugged speaker and mic kit in my helmet and used Velcro and zip ties to secure everything. Easy. 
I also have a Sena radio speakers and mic installed in the same helmet. 

Super easy. Remove ear pads (usually clip in), install speakers, cut the plastic on the ear pads a little to clear the speaker, secure wiring under the pads and zip tie the mic in place in front of the mount. Pay attention to which side is likely to have the connector and make the connector come out of the correct side. 

I've installed a few of the rugged kits before.  As mentioned, pretty easy.  

Back