Rotopax mount for Jeep spare tire mount.

FOG

Reaction score
I have a 2017 JKU and want to mount a Rotopax gas can to the spare tire mount behind the spare tire. 

I have the Rotopax mount but need to mount that to the spare tire lugs.  I've looked high and low on the interwebs but can't find anything. 

I have an idea to extend the 3 lug studs and then fabricate a mount that would mount to the Rotopax mount behind the spare tire.

But before I get started I thought maybe someone on here might already know of one.  Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Rotopax and others make a mount for this but it's anywhere from $87 to $100.  Yikes!  It's just a couple of metal plates with a tube welded to it.

https://www.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-TM-Spare-Tire-Carriers/dp/B00SJXEMI6?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

Looks like a pretty easy DIY if you have welder.  

Or are you meaning a different style??? Between the Jeep and tire or behind the tire?
Thanks.  I saw that mount but didn't think it would work because I want to mount the Rotopax behind the spare tire.  The spare tire wheel has 60* conical holes, so you need that style lug nut to hold it tight on the spare tire mount.

If I put that Amazon mount behind the spare tire and tried to tighten everything up without a good conical fit, I think everything would move around a bit and eventually destroy the spare tire mount lugs or wallow out the wheel holes or both.

Plus it is expensive 

It looks to me like you pull that pin out of the middle and separate the 2 plates then the plate with the one hole on top and 2 elongated holes at the bottom goes on between your spare and the mount getting sandwiched between the spare tire mount and the spare so your conical nuts will still be tightening against your wheel. Then you put the outside plate for your rotopax back on securing it with the pin. But for $87 I would build it myself and it would be a lot stronger 

Peas

It looks to me like you pull that pin out of the middle and separate the 2 plates then the plate with the one hole on top and 2 elongated holes at the bottom goes on between your spare and the mount getting sandwiched between the spare tire mount and the spare so your conical nuts will still be tightening against your wheel. Then you put the outside plate for your rotopax back on securing it with the pin. But for $87 I would build it myself and it would be a lot stronger 

Peas
Thanks for the explanation.  I'm going to reconsider that mount.

Reviews aren't good from the ones I skimmed through, especially for the price.  It seems to wiggle around with a gap between the larger square tube and smaller square tube.  Then there are some versions with a set screw to keep it tight, but I image it's not in a convenient location.  If I was going to make this I'd use a section of 1" round tube dom .120 wall as the outside piece and  3/4" tube for the inside piece for a nice snug fit.    

I have a cnc plasma table and could cut out the two metal plates for you, one with the JK lug pattern to mount on the Jeep (between the Jeep and the tire) and one with the Rotopax bracket pattern.  I don't have any 1" dom laying around or I could put together a DIY kit for it. 

I'm Vista and like working on projects like this, so let me know if you want to prototype one.

• Thanks
I have some rotopax with the rotopax mounts. The fuel containers are really good but the mounts not so much. It really helps if the container is supported by more than just the mount. I have mine on a flat horizontal surface and use the screw in mount to kinda pull the container down against the flat surface. I also secure them with a small ratchet strap in addition to the mount. The mount just secures the container in the middle. There is potential for them to rotate on the center mount so that is why I add the strap. They definitely need more support than what just the mounts provide.

Peas

I put this piece of aluminum plate down to support the mount and ubolts that I use to secure the rotopax and a small cooler on the right. The base of the mount is just tin. I run a strap down inside the top handles and through a ubolt at the base of the containers. In the last pic the top one is rotated. There is nothing to stop that from happening without the strap 

PeasIMG20240222104719.jpg

IMG20240222104811.jpg

IMG20240222104900.jpg

IMG20240222104909.jpg

IMG20240222105009.jpg

I guess mine are fuelpax. Maybe not the same thing as rotopax?

Reviews aren't good from the ones I skimmed through, especially for the price.  It seems to wiggle around with a gap between the larger square tube and smaller square tube.  Then there are some versions with a set screw to keep it tight, but I image it's not in a convenient location.  If I was going to make this I'd use a section of 1" round tube dom .120 wall as the outside piece and  3/4" tube for the inside piece for a nice snug fit.    

I have a cnc plasma table and could cut out the two metal plates for you, one with the JK lug pattern to mount on the Jeep (between the Jeep and the tire) and one with the Rotopax bracket pattern.  I don't have any 1" dom laying around or I could put together a DIY kit for it. 

I'm Vista and like working on projects like this, so let me know if you want to prototype one.
Thanks for the offer but I'm currently in North Carolina.

I put this piece of aluminum plate down to support the mount and ubolts that I use to secure the rotopax and a small cooler on the right. The base of the mount is just tin. I run a strap down inside the top handles and through a ubolt at the base of the containers. In the last pic the top one is rotated. There is nothing to stop that from happening without the strap 

PeasView attachment 97051

View attachment 97052

View attachment 97053

View attachment 97054

View attachment 97055
Thanks.  I'm just going to use a single can on the mount so I hope that it works OK.

BTW I called it Rotopax but it's actually Fuelpax made by Rotopax.  If that makes sense.

I decided to order the mount from Amazon.  I know it's expensive but in my current situation it's the better choice.

I also read in one of the reviews that someone bolted it to the spare tire carrier which allows you to rest the spare on the mount before you have to jockey the wheel on to the studs.  Last time that I put the spare back on it was a PITA. So that will be an added benefit for this old man. 

Thank you @MPC and @Rorschach for your advice.

If you don’t have a tire carrier, keep in mind that the rubber baby buggy bumpers the tire smooshes when bolted down are part of the support. If you space it away from the tailgate, you’ll need extensions to keep it from wiggling and fatiguing the tailgate. 

If you don’t have a tire carrier, keep in mind that the rubber baby buggy bumpers the tire smooshes when bolted down are part of the support. If you space it away from the tailgate, you’ll need extensions to keep it from wiggling and fatiguing the tailgate. 
Thanks.  I'll take that into consideration.

I installed the Rotopax mount from Amazon and it has the fit that I was looking for. I decided to bolt the mount to the spare tire carrier by drilling holes where the unused lugs would be.  Now I can lift the spare on to the gas can support, take a breather and then maneuver it onto the 3 lugs. 

51CE3497-7B8A-4711-9C7B-625452A6EFF1.jpeg

BFF7C447-631B-44FE-BFFD-8FE1DF737F2F.jpeg

F893811C-9D80-4223-9E13-6218338DF1C5.jpeg

@fog can you post the Amazon link for this mount?

thanks 
MPC posted it in the second post of this thread.  If I tried to post it again,  I might screw it up.   :classic_ninja:

Back