Rookie thinking about trying to fixing my transaxle

kgwmu

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2D that has started making some 3rd gear noise. It was kind of hard to shift into 3rd a few times prior to the noise appearing. That said, I'm kicking around the idea of opening up my transaxle in an attempt to fix it. I've wrenched on a lot of stuff over the years and I'm not afraid to try it out. I just haven't done much in the way of gearboxes, only a couple of quad gearboxes.

I know most of the advice will probably be just drop it off at a reputable trans builder, but I'm attempting to learn more about all the components on my car so I can help keep all the cars in our group going. So, I'm looking for some advice before I just jump into it and potentially make a mess.

• Are any specialty tools / stands / clamps / etc needed?
  • Any tricks or to know of during disassembly or reassembly?
  • I don't know which "version" of the 2D I have. Is there a breakdown anywhere of what I should look to update if I have an older version?

I'm still on the fence about trying to tackle this, but our season here in MI is done in at the end of October and doesn't start again until April, so I'll have some time to work on it to learn. 

Do it!

Post up a photo of the transaxle. 

Be a cool build thread!!!

theres probably a you tube video out there.

hell, the way i look at it is if i tear it down and can't get it back together, at least i maybe saved the tear down cost lol

Search the transaxle thread. I believe Sean went over this. Seems like it was damn near impossible to do it without a jig.

Funny thing is, the labor isn't really the problem on a rebuild, It's the cost of parts. It isn't worth the grief if you're not the expert. 

been there done that well with the 2d you definitely need a jig to get the forks aligned right. i disassembled mine and was calling around to get the parts needed. i wound up a Mcdowell performance he explained to me all the reasons that i shouldn't put it back together my self the cost of the labor isn't worth having a problem later. also i have rebuilt hundreds of big truck and equipment transmissions 

Yes you will want a jig. You need it to set up shift forks.
when you pull the gear housing away from the main housing you will need a jig to setup the shift forks, the shift forks clamp into place for alignment,  you will also need a pinion bearing socket, so you can remove the gear housing, and will need a press.  

Also nice to have a t-handle made to attach to the shift shaft to work it on the bench and get adjusted and working smoothly prior to installing in case. Done several type ones, and we have a jig for mendi/bus but just not worth it in my opinion. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent countless hours talking people through rebuilds over the phone and e-mail on these. Some get it, most don't. It can be frustrating from both sides. Many end up paying double or triple after assembling themselves and having something go wrong, then having to take it a qualified builder and paying them to do it again. 

Need a shift jig, which are not available (hopefully by the end of 2023, were trying). Need a small pinion nut fixture/tool (also not available, obsolete VW tool, maybe 2024?). Not much you can do without those two special tools. 

As most others have said, most builders vastly undercharge the labor rates to service these. My professional advice, take advantage of that while you can. 

I'm still surprised when I have a 2D or an Albins rebuilt for $2k to $6k but the labor is only $500 to $800.

They are not that bad to do, did my first type 1 when I was 16. No jigs for the forks, together and apart about three times to get the forks right. Get yourself a self help book for the bus trans. That has the basic parts drawings and usually how to take apart and put it back together. Have fun.

I've spent countless hours talking people through rebuilds over the phone and e-mail on these. Some get it, most don't. It can be frustrating from both sides. Many end up paying double or triple after assembling themselves and having something go wrong, then having to take it a qualified builder and paying them to do it again. 

Need a shift jig, which are not available (hopefully by the end of 2023, were trying). Need a small pinion nut fixture/tool (also not available, obsolete VW tool, maybe 2024?). Not much you can do without those two special tools. 

As most others have said, most builders vastly undercharge the labor rates to service these. My professional advice, take advantage of that while you can. 
Well, with the right tools not currently available is a bummer. That might keep me from attempting it this time. Also, it was less about saving the labor money and more about trying to be more self sufficient so when things happen I don't have to get in line and wait until someone fixes my stuff. Rough idea on the cost of these tools when they are available? 

Here in Michigan we have a lot less options than you guys out west, which is one of my main reasons to considering this. 

Thanks for the all the advice so far, this is why I asked before I decided to just tear into it.

Back