Roof Scoop Options

HydroPower

Reaction score
Looking to see what kind of option everyone has done for building a roof scoop or wing of some type to help pull air down to the radiator on cars with windshields. My car isnt having a crazy overheating problem just tends to run a little warm when running it really hard so looking to move a little fresh air down to the radiator and heat exchanger. Just looking for some ideas that wont stand out too much on the look of the car

20211113_103307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a few scoops on jegs that gave me some ideas. They are hood scoops but I don’t see why the concept wouldn’t apply. I was just gonna cut a hole and use some expanded metal. 

I did some research on this years ago when I was thinking about putting a windshield and hood on my SU Sand Pro 2 Mid Engine. Scoops on the roof can cause a swirling effect in the cockpit and reduce the air flow to the radiator. Best place for getting clean air is placing the scoops on the hood or side panels. Running ducting from the scoops to in front of the radiator is best. 
I never put the windshield or hood on my SU and sold it a few months ago so I can’t give you any results. Just my research. 

Let’s see the radiator area. Lots you can do to take advantage of the air already there. 

I did some research on this years ago when I was thinking about putting a windshield and hood on my SU Sand Pro 2 Mid Engine. Scoops on the roof can cause a swirling effect in the cockpit and reduce the air flow to the radiator. Best place for getting clean air is placing the scoops on the hood or side panels. Running ducting from the scoops to in front of the radiator is best. 
I never put the windshield or hood on my SU and sold it a few months ago so I can’t give you any results. Just my research. 
Interesting, I have never heard that before but good info to consider

Looks nice and sealed.  The only things you could do to improve the air that's there is more of a lip at the top to trap the air against the radiator and not sure what's at the bottom, but most likely some airflow management needed down there as well.  Right now, with the lean on the radiator, most of the air that hits it will just spill over the top with that nice rolled edge.  

Also: what fans?  

Problem with the roof is it's a low pressure area so you have to create a scoop to grab the air, then add a NACA Duct under it to direct it to the radiator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

this on top

images

this under

images

another option would be to make a naca duct from around the shock towers and grab that air and flow it to the center

P1130826.jpg

I would replace fans before I would do any of this.  The blades of the fans do get worn out as well.  Lots of options with fans

As Cookie said, new fans and Dune-Track-N, it is a low pressure area, both are problems. 
I need to work on same issues, car got hot and I got super hot, so much so that I thought the fans were running backwards. 
I have a roof scoop and side scoops, not enough air. 
Here is another scoop idea. I’m not running hoses, I’ll leave the windshield off first, I wear a full face anyway. 

0FAEA972-D0D9-495C-A025-3287AE0AC3CE.jpeg

Not to hijack but I've been looking at the same issue on my baja. The airflow over the roof with no rear glass goes right inside the car, even with a rear quarter window scoop from Kartek. Pretty much cancels out the fans. So I'm working on a small rear roof spoiler at the moment. I just uploaded the video today actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLytMVYMn8

So I was thinking maybe not so much of a hood scoop but possibly a small wing to divert air down toward the radiator. Something kinda like this scu  hasScreenshot_20210818-044749_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-044741_Instagram.jpg

Not to hijack but I've been looking at the same issue on my baja. The airflow over the roof with no rear glass goes right inside the car, even with a rear quarter window scoop from Kartek. Pretty much cancels out the fans. So I'm working on a small rear roof spoiler at the moment. I just uploaded the video today actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLytMVYMn8
You could probably benefit from a small wing above your rear window.  Low and flat like a Pro Sock car.  It would bring the low pressure area out further and allow the radiator air flow out into air stream.  Some Naca ducts in the rear windows, or above/in front of the rear fenders in the body, would help too..

Back