Rhino Lift Kit

Stinky

Reaction score
I am almost locked in to buying a Yamaha Rhino.  I have yet to set up the meeting to look at it.  It is 150 miles from me, but the price is right.

I want to run it in CO on roads and trails.  It will probably make the trip to Buttercup several times a year.  My nephew drives his in the dunes.  I notice that they need bigger tires (doesn't everything).  This means a lift-kit.  I notice that the lift kit mostly just space the springs and increase the control-arm angle.  I consider this to be bad as it changes the angle that the ball-joints operate at.  On trucks, this makes the parts wear out a lot quicker....am I correct?

Are there any other lift=kits out there?

How much do I need?   It has 25" tires on it, and I want to go to 26", or more.  I am limited by gearing.

If you're going to run a rhino in the dunes your best bet is to put long travel on it. Had one many years ago and adding the long travel was best upgrade I did.  Bigger tires aren't going to help with much other than raising the center of gravity and slowing it down with the extra weight.   A rhino in the dunes is all about keeping the momentum going, which is hard to do with stock suspension.   

Just my .02

You can run a 26" tires on a rhino without a lift kit.    As stated adding a long travel kit would be the best thing to do if you are going to run it in the dunes. 

Bought my son a stock Rhino and put a long travel kit on it. Took it to Nevada and it did well in the open desert. He duned it to the drags and to Swing Set but that was it. It struggled to keep up and he couldn't climb some of the dunes between Roadrunner and Swing Set. But he liked it and we had it for a couple seasons before he got himself a turbo YXZ SxS. Selling that soon so he can get into a sandrail.

20200101_165213.jpg

20191229_152355.jpg

20191129_134048.jpg

Hopefully it's priced less than 5k. I would look for an XP900 as that's far and above a better SxS. Those can be found for around 8k

Consider putting wheel spacers to widen the stance on whatever you buy, an extra 4 inches of width adds to the stability especially if you’re lifting it.

I doubt raising the Rhino a half inch will effect the angles too much. 25 to 26'' tire is only 1/2'' of extra ground clearance (assuming that is the actual height of the tires)

The ideal set up is as follows...

Front Buffs on 8' wide Alum Wheel

Rear Scats, 7 paddle on 10' wide Alum Wheel

If your wheels have a 2+5 offset you don't need 2" spacers, will be about the same

Allot of Rhinos got OEM spacers on the rear because of the lawsuits, check yores before you go buy some, they do help stability

Unless yore jumping, yore bearings and spindles will be fine, extreme offset wheels hurts more then spacers do

Buy used online, I see killer tire combos that costs $1,000 years ago being sold for $200-300 bucks now because their old Rhino Sand Paddle kit is sitting in their garage

Also get a Dune Clutch kit if your going to 26" or bigger tires

Example, this was recently for sale in Whittier CA for $300, probably cost near $1k when new

Wide and light/shaved tires with low profile paddles is the trick for a Rhino....flotation, flotation, flotation...

This NIB Sand Dune kit is $175 new..

I never used it, selling for $60

Shop OfferUp and Craigslist for Rhino parts, etc.

Plenty of deals out there.

The beast followed me home.  I am working on ITP steel wheels now.  They have 3" more of off-set than the stock wheels and also new tires.

Are there any good Yamaha forums.  I did a search and didn't find any.

Rhino forums and there’s a couple on Facebook. Not much new info on them but the rhino forum has an archive of info if you search. Just didn’t expect a response from a member that hasn’t posted since 2012 😂

Rhino forums is a good one, but as stated...its more of an Archive of lost information.

Camshaw still alive?  :lol:

Back