Reverse pattern Sequential

bkuips

Reaction score
Bought a new to me rail and the shift cable wraps by motor and comes into the shift linkage from the rear of the car.  This makes the shift pattern on my S4D reverse.  Its a top mount linkage and i cannot find a bottom mount linkage anywhere.  Where would i go to find one?

TIA

A lot of older Funco's are set up this way. You need a shifter with a bell crank built in which will reverse the shifting direction. Funco makes them, so does Tatum ($1800). Or maybe Alper has one. 

the other option is to not have the cable wrap around the motor and have it go directly to the tranny from the front, super cheap, cable resistance is less and you only need to buy a new cable and remount it at the tranny

the other option is to not have the cable wrap around the motor and have it go directly to the tranny from the front, super cheap, cable resistance is less and you only need to buy a new cable and remount it at the tranny
THIS!

Im curious what your 'reverse' is? Not being an a$$, serious question.

I've had 2 sequentials, both were pull back to up-shift and push forward to down-shift. I know some re the opposite. 

Depends on what transaxle is in the car. Recently prepped Baja bug with a PBS S4. The cable went to the engine and made a 180° turn back to the shifter. The older Funco's I've worked on with the Albins sequential have this issue.

Im curious what your 'reverse' is? Not being an a$$, serious question.

I've had 2 sequentials, both were pull back to up-shift and push forward to down-shift. I know some re the opposite. 
it's all in cable routing.  I had a car that the previous owner set it up with a push for next gear.  drove me nuts. Two trips, they I had to change it to the more traditional style.  :ez:

Ya mine is set up as push for up shift and pull for down shift.  All the other sequentials i have had were the opposite.  

"A lot of older Funco's are set up this way. You need a shifter with a bell crank built in which will reverse the shifting direction. Funco makes them, so does Tatum ($1800). Or maybe Alper has one."

I was curious if there was a shifter that accounted for this.  i am not above buying a new shifter as the one in the car has a lot of play in it side to side.

I changed mine to a push forward to up-shift also.

I took the flange on the tranny that the cable was attached to and welded another tab on it, opposite of existing tab, attached cable to new tab and all has been good for years.

Push to upshift seems so un natural to me, my current car was this way when I bought it. I figured I would get used to it, but after a few trips, I couldn't get to where I liked it. Made it pull to upshift, 100% better in my opinion.  

Maybe I'm the weird one? 

Wait, don't answer that......

Nevermind...

Push to upshift seems so un natural to me, my current car was this way when I bought it. I figured I would get used to it, but after a few trips, I couldn't get to where I liked it. Made it pull to upshift, 100% better in my opinion.  

Maybe I'm the weird one? 

Wait, don't answer that......

Nevermind...
Nope, I agree.

In the end, its driver preference to which direction they want the shifter to work. It doesn't hurt anything inside the gearbox.

Most prefer the pull back for upshift. This makes sense as you are accelerating and being pushed back into the seat, so the natural tendency is to pull back on the shifter to go faster. Then under braking, you are being forced forward, and that relates to pushing forward on the shifter to downshift. As mentioned, others prefer the opposite.

The looping of the cable at the trans is not ideal, and creates a good bit of extra friction in the cable. It is certainly better to have the cable make a direct path to with as few bends as possible so that you have a more direct feel in the shifter.

We do now make a bolt on adapter for the shift lever at the trans that allows you to connect the cable below the pivot, which would still allow a direct cable routing without having to bend it, or use a shifter with the cable attachment under the pivot if already fitted in the car. I had one installed on our display trans at the sand show this weekend.

Back