Reverse Hanging vs Floor Mounted Pedals?

GeneralG

Reaction score
Intrigued to find out the pros and cons of hanging pedals vs floor mounted.  Currently the car has floor mounted single master cylinder for front and rear brakes, I know not ideal....  Needing to move the pedals forward and possibly on a slider for adjustability to accommodate shorter drivers.  For those who have had both floor and hanging which pedal setups did you like the best?  I have never had hanging pedals, only ever drove a car briefly with hanging pedals once and that was years ago.  Do the reverse hanging pedals feel much different from floor mounted?  

Looking at this Jamar reverse pedal setup - http://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/ca4000-34-34-34.htm   But not sure on the 3/4" for both front and rear brakes vs using 3/4 front, 7/8 rear.

Or possibly the floor mounted Jamar dual brake (F -3/4, R 7/8) and single clutch pedal (3/4) assemblies. 

http://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/jca33-47-8.htm

http://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/jca1c3-4.htm  

Needing to move the pedals forward about 3" but due to a structural tube for where the clutch pedal would be placed proves to be an issue.  The other issue is the steering shaft placement when going to reverse hanging pedals.

PXL_20220425_001611434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanging pedals will have more throw. I've ran both and prefer hanging over floor mount. 

Tilton makes a remote reservoir master, pretty common on BFD cars. 

My old veewee had floor mounted and my psd had hanging. 

The floor mounted take a bit to get used to, but I had a vw for years so it was like putting on an old pair of shoes.  Takes a minute to get used to them but they are very familiar... 

Then hanging on my psd has a tube obstruction as well with one remote mounted reservoir.   I think the front brake master is going bad and will replace it with another Jamar. I have cnc stuff with wilwood up front and gear one in back and cnc clutch slave. The distance from the floor to the peddle is a bit far for my liking there is no resting the foot kn the floor and tapping the peddle. 

Please keep us updated on what you find and decide. I’ve been contemplating switching over to hanging pedals from my floor mount in my BFD. My brakes have always been marginal at best and I’m fairly certain it’s the master cylinder. I would also love to gain a little leg room if I can. 6’5” in a Revo is a bit tight even with it being stretched. I know some other BFD guys have hanging and they say they are way better. I cannot recall anyone that has hanging saying they wished they had floor mount. 

think I was confusing hanging pedals with the Tilton floor pedals someone else installed in another BFD. Just saw this resurrected in another thread. 

Interesting question. I think there are a few factors in play on deciding which pedal set-up is best for your car. In your original post you say you want to have adjustable pedals! In my opinion the only way to have any adjustment is to floor mount the assembly. You can certainly upgrade the system to a dual master with a balance bar and still have an adjustable floor mount. Personally I don't want adjustable pedals, I want those things bolted and braced solidly so there is no flex. Yes, hanging pedals give you the option of having a longer pedal arm, but that is predicated on the space you have. Packaging is probably the number one reason you will find different pedal set-ups in different cars. True a-arm cars do not have the room in front of the pedals like a radius arm car and they require hanging pedals. There are also two options with hanging pedal positions, overhung or conventional. Again just for packaging to get it into the space you have. 

If you put Hanging pedals in make sure they are setup proper.  Last car I had with them the clutch and brake were too close and the brake was far from the gas pedal.  Once I got used to it and made some adjustments I liked them. 

Hanging are more natural and easier to heel-toe downshift (easier on the trans and faster).  

Doesn't affect the rally guys though :biggrin:

All great information everyone, thank you.  Found a picture with some dimensions on Kartek for the Jamar hanging assembly.  I will have to attempt to mock them up.  For those with the hanging pedals, what is the height from the floor to the middle of the pad?  With the floor pedals the height from the floor to the middle of the pad is about 10" in the current configuration.  

specs_reverse_JamarPedal.JPG

i have both, one in my DD sand car and the other in my DD prerunner,  

The sandcar seats sat as low as they could, back seat was right on the 1.500 tube front was up around 2'', and on the sand car i felt when pushing in the pedal, i was pushing upwards, I went back to the Floor mount on that car, 

The Prerunner the bottom of the seat in the front is 8'' off the tube, it has hanging pedals, when i push in on the pedal if feels correct like sitting in my truck pushing downwards motion.  

I think some cars work better with hanging and some with floor mount, 

i have both, one in my DD sand car and the other in my DD prerunner,  

The sandcar seats sat as low as they could, back seat was right on the 1.500 tube front was up around 2'', and on the sand car i felt when pushing in the pedal, i was pushing upwards, I went back to the Floor mount on that car, 

The Prerunner the bottom of the seat in the front is 8'' off the tube, it has hanging pedals, when i push in on the pedal if feels correct like sitting in my truck pushing downwards motion.  

I think some cars work better with hanging and some with floor mount, 
I'm with @JALPER on this  - its a matter of sitting position in the car and your leg length, arm length, seat position.

For me in cars where you sit "up" like a truck the hanging pedals seem to work well, although having driven a car where we "got Very out of control"  my feet slid under and around the pedal and I had ZERO control that was scary.

I like my cars with seats lower and I like my legs straighter and I adjust the steering wheel for me  (I am usually the only driver), and prefer floor mounted pedals - Being in that same  out of control situation a few times I had far better control

I don't care much about the amount of pedal travel as I keep the brakes right on top and with dual disk and hi perf clutches I have to limit the clutch throw with a stop significantly (to save the clutch and slave)

Also Its easier for me to come off the dead pedal to get to the clutch if needed  - for example I have gone flying off a razorback way faster than I should (think death in a RZR fast)  a time or two where I was hard on the dead pedal and then on the clutch near the bottom

As @Rockwood said heel/toe is difficult with floor mounts, but doing that in a snd car - not something I have done 

The downside of floor mounts for me is the associated cost - as I use "skate tape" for grip on the floor, so it wears out shoes pretty quick

Hanging pedals are like shocks: geometry matters. If you feel like they’re pushing “up” as the pedal travels, you didn’t align them to 90* at “full bump” relative to your keister in the seat. :biggrin:

@Fullthrottleguy most of the time not needed since I’m rarely on the brakes, but it is force of habit and good on the chassis/transaxle. :biggrin:

Back