Restoring a type 1 Porsche style fiberglass fan shroud.

Five.five-six

Reaction score
Well, in the down time waiting for my long block, I have decided to fix this up.  I’m thinking I’ll take it to automotive paint shop once the prep is done but I may just rattle can it.  

4106417D-5798-4F61-B018-5F4BDDCE18B5.jpeg

I picked up this wet dry pack ranging from 80 to 3000 grit and a small package of epoxy repair from West Marine. Let’s see if I can teach my kids how to use the sand paper…. Probably not 😞

image.jpg

I’ve cleaned all the grease of inside and out, seems I’m not the first to do a reair on this, they come in around $1,500 if you can find one without the kit so I think it’s worth the trouble.   The part that concerned me the most was this where it would rub against the old plenum, on inspection, it’s not as thinned out as I had feared so the repair will just be cosmetic.  A good hole in this spot would cause the engine to over heat.  

image.jpg

More photos   

A lot of this will not be easily visible but some of it is ugly as heck.  Good news is none of it seems to be structural   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I found a couple of cracks in it and I think I need to take down the pant to fiberglass and lay a strip of loath on either side of the crack.   I really wish I knew how to work on fiberglass 😞

8BEB52C8-4E25-4CEC-B35E-C42C0BE4EC55.jpeg

EA39EF04-4499-40B9-B9D2-C9F9FD9DF9F2.jpeg

Buy a can of max 2k in white off Amazon, you would be amazed how well it lays down..

Buy a can of max 2k in white off Amazon, you would be amazed how well it lays down..
I may end up shooting it myself but I am not confident with my ability to repair the cracks.  I’m dropping it off with a professional Monday morning.  $350 and he’ll hand it back to me primed and ready for paint.  

Back