Reskin or buy new Enclosed Trailer?

Drjekal

Reaction score
 I have a 2006 custom made by Sport Trailer out of San Bernardino CA that was made to my specs, it has developed a Galvanic Reaction, and the roof now has holes due to it. 

Was contemplating having it re-skinned at a cost of 12K (quoted by Kenny at Sport Trailers) They want 90% of the cost up front to purchase the materials, which I thought was odd because if you're in the business of building trailers you should have materials in stock, why do I need to pay upfront so you can order materials with a lead time no less.

Has anyone any feedback on Sports Trailers?? Are they still in business? Saw on the internet that they may be closed, Or should I just move on and buy a new custom Trailer and sell my existing as is. Who is making custom toy haulers in Southern California?  

The reskinning done right is a pretty time consuming process , been there a couple times . its lots of labor.  Materials are up in cost too -  depending on the length of the trailer- the panels ar e 49" wide (48 with and inch over lap) ands they cost abiout $140 each painted  but the VHB tape and Silkaflex to adhere them is about half as much more per panel and you have to do a roof and from and rear and you likely will replace all the trim rather than try to clean and reuse  - but labor is usually still 60% of the cost. 

if you want a toyhauler and not an enclosed trailer  - its going to be expensive.  A few places I know still do those  UltraSantek probably is the most reliable.   ATC  not in SoCal makes some very nice pieces 

If its just an  Enclosed  you have a few good choices including NewTrend, Universal, and Fractal

New Trend did a 100% reskin on the old Funco 26' enclosed when my buddy bought it. I think it was around $5k, but that was about 5 years ago.

I have heard Sport has been in and out of the scene but cannot confirm. I would probably lean towards New Trend or Universal. 

There was a nice trailer at the SSSS this year that was about 12K new. Seemed like a good deal to me walking past it. 

This is an enclosed right?

What about DIY and save $$.

If a toyhauler I wouldn't suggest a DIY but are enclosed that difficult to reskin?

is it just the roof or do the sides need to get done. 12k seems pretty high.  screwless side walls?  Just the Roof shouldn't be that much 

Just got done doing a a whole new roof on a Carson Racer, I ended up selling it after, and lost money on it. Its expensive stuff. 

Big question is, how much do you think the trailer is worth right now?

On the Sport trailers that I've seen the panels are not taped to the frame. There is plywood in between and the panels are glued to the wood.

New Trend quoted me 11K last year to do my 20ft box, that was just the aluminum and trim, no wood.

I ended up doing it myself and installing a 36" side door for about $6500.

This is a big job that you will need help with.

20220305_084502.jpg

20220509_170006.jpg

20220613_191948.jpg

20220507_140017.jpg

Sport Trailers is still in business, he just downsized. my bro-in-law just picked up his new trailer last week. Kenney is a little difficult to deal with sometimes, but he still builds a solid trailer. I,m on my second Sport Trailer since 1991. both are/were still solid with absolutely no problems.

On the Sport trailers that I've seen the panels are not taped to the frame. There is plywood in between and the panels are glued to the wood.

New Trend quoted me 11K last year to do my 20ft box, that was just the aluminum and trim, no wood.

I ended up doing it myself and installing a 36" side door for about $6500.

This is a big job that you will need help with.

View attachment 82321

View attachment 82322

View attachment 82323

View attachment 82324
How did you attach yours? We've been contemplating reskining my father in laws universal. It's older so I don't believe it has the wood, just aluminum.

How did you attach yours? We've been contemplating reskining my father in laws universal. It's older so I don't believe it has the wood, just aluminum.
Apply a thin coat on the wood and the aluminum, put them together and roll it out.

Once they touch it is done.

20220502_170322.jpg

Kenney is a little difficult to deal with sometimes, but he still builds a solid trailer. I,m on my second Sport Trailer since 1991. both are/were still solid with absolutely no problems.
There are too many businesses out there that are easy to deal with. He sold or stopped doing business in his building off of the 215. It's been emptied out for awhile now. And as far as a solid trailer, this one mentioned wasn't so solid. The pinholes were a fairly common problem in the business. Even Lance RV had the problem. It was the aluminum roof laying directly on steel staples in that instance. $12K sounds outrageous to me but then so many businesses operate on the premise that there is always a bigger sucker coming up the road. 

Back