Removing Graphics and Painting

wesinls

Reaction score
My motorhome has a painted body but with vinyl graphics...has anyone removed the graphics and had them re-painted on? If so can you post pictures and who did the work?

We used to remove them with a heat gun (hot air) kind of like an industrial hair dryer. Heat them up and peal them off. Sometimes you have to use a razor blade to start the lift. What you will find, the outline of the graphics will be "ghosted" on to your painted surface. Makes it easy to layout the painted replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in the middle of doing this myself. On one side, most of  the graphics came off by letting them warm up in the sun and then peeling them off.  I didn’t use a heat gun as I didn’t want to burn the surface. 
On the more stubborn ones I used a razor blade and scraped them off in small strips very carefully. I ground the corners round on the razor blade so that they wouldn’t dig into the surface. I would also de-sharpen the blade a little with a file. 
I still have some sun baked graphics that are cracked and won’t peel or scrape so a friend recommended an eraser wheel. I ordered this one from Amazon, there are many to choose from, and will give it a try after the holidays. 

E7AF8F6F-2DAA-4C5C-8999-CC7E1A35AA15.png

Yes, I forgot about the eraser wheels. 

With the hot air gun, you just have to warm them and start the peal. Too warm and they stretch and break apart.

Add: erasers work good on any glue that remains on surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
All replies are good ways to do it. I’ve also used a pressure washer with hot water but you have to be careful because you can also strip the paint underneath but scraping or heating can also do that. Just have to be careful. 

Be careful not to get the eraser too hot while using it. The eraser can stick on in place of the glue. 

You can also pick up bug and tar remover from an automotive paint store. It works good to wipe off the glue that can be left under the decals. 

They sold me another product that works even better but I can’t remember what it is called. 

years ago, we bought 7-10 old coca cola service mini vans and had to remove the stickers so we could resell them. they were sun baked like crazy. i found the easiest way was to use heat and a gallon jug of some liquid remover I bought from a wrap place. towards  the end I was using a propane heater once I wet down the stickers and it came off pretty easy except for where it was cracked up. I don't think i had finger prints for months after that.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/wrap-tools-and-supplies/sub/wrap-removal/set/crystaltek-10-4-biodegradable-vinyl-remover

I’m in the middle of doing this myself. On one side, most of  the graphics came off by letting them warm up in the sun and then peeling them off.  I didn’t use a heat gun as I didn’t want to burn the surface. 
On the more stubborn ones I used a razor blade and scraped them off in small strips very carefully. I ground the corners round on the razor blade so that they wouldn’t dig into the surface. I would also de-sharpen the blade a little with a file. 
I still have some sun baked graphics that are cracked and won’t peel or scrape so a friend recommended an eraser wheel. I ordered this one from Amazon, there are many to choose from, and will give it a try after the holidays. 

View attachment 53411
I finished getting the graphics off of my trailer. The flat eraser wheel seemed to work best with the cracked graphics. But it left a glue residue that I scrubbed off with a scotch green pad wet with acetone and the wiped with a cotton towel wet with acetone. 
I’m happy with the results but it left some white ghost images of where the old graphics were. 

837DDF36-68FB-41EB-BAA2-7D67F4ACC676.jpeg

D445EDC8-B110-4A23-BB01-7F6E11DB13C4.jpeg

DA3AE54A-F20A-49C6-904B-DC81C87E27AA.jpeg

That's awesome! You can't avoid the ghost images though from the UV discoloration on the paint.

I wonder if you can now wet sand the paint to get an even color, then clearcoat it.

That's awesome! You can't avoid the ghost images though from the UV discoloration on the paint.

I wonder if you can now wet sand the paint to get an even color, then clearcoat it.
I’ll have to admit, the ghost images are starting to grow on me. 
Maybe I’ll just leave them “as is” and call it a day. 

I was the same way, but watching the graphics crack more each year I couldn’t wait any longer. 
Glad I’m done now. 
Mine are slowly become transparent anyway.  Good things come to those who wait? :biggrin:

Back