Rebuilding a floor jack

Bobalos

Reaction score
I have an old floor jack that has been very good to me over the years.  A year or so ago it started bleeding down and takes way too many pumps to get anything in the air.  I'm guessing it's just worn out.  It's probably 25 or 28 years old.  

The wheels still work fine and it's in fairly good condition given it's age.  I've never done anything to it.  Well....  I tried adding fluid and bleeding it after it started acting up.  It never got any better..

Is this worth even trying to screw with?  I bought it at chief auto when I worked there, it maybe cost me $80 or 100 back then.  

20211219_140811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s likely just seals on ram. If you can find replacements, it’s an easy fix. 

Are they all the same size? Or should I take it apart, clean it up and them figure it out? 

I’m all for maintaining and rebuilding the tools and machines that have been reliable to me over the years but after having upgraded my floor jack last year, that is one tool where I would recommend you go to “new”. The new, good ones are just better tech. 

These were on sale last Christmas for $200 - Jegs aluminum floor jack. They are half the weight, super low when all the way down and best of all they move the jack head up like 6” with each pump until you load it and then it jacks up normal distance (1-2”?) with each pump. Maybe these go on sale after Christmas. Worth the $ in my opinion. 

C814B9E9-C5DF-4FE3-8B6A-62B24EB28152.jpeg

I  tore apart my jegs aluminum jack. Swear I had 5-6 hours in it. PITA. It still works but now again is loosing slight pressure and the handle rises before it stops. I would not do it again.

looks like the same astroline i have that needs new seals after 35 years.

43B627A9-2351-4BED-8C69-74E4DC08883B.jpeg

1C803150-0A60-4065-A1DC-2F79F9D6D100.jpeg

I rebuilt an old Craftsman floor jack about 10 years ago, still working.  The seals I found were "Blackhawk".  Had to take it apart and measure everything.  

That package is the unused seals from the kit that was used for my old Craftsman jack. Kit covers lots of different jacks. Easy to find what you need on the website

Back