Rear sway bar.

Dbotelho

Reaction score
Hello all I am mocking up my sand car rear suspension and I am considering installing a rear sway bar the chassis did not come with one originally it is a desert dynamics sand car chassis. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

If you have room, anything can be fabbed up.

Jason Alper on here is pretty knowledgeable with Desert Dynamics.

Make sure where you mount the bar to the chassis is mounted at the very end of the bar.

The moment arm force from these sway bars will rip apart a tube if not done right.

My buddy has this happen to his Black Widow.

Had to move the mounts and then it was fine.

Make sure the arms are long enough to accommodate travel without going vertical (or close to it). If you have to, move the mount on the suspension arm closer to the pivot, but this will make the bar act softer. 

I had Dustin at AG sand cars do my DD. Perfect install. Barely fit with the S4 but he did it. Huge difference in handling. IMG_20221026_121934520.jpg

Dune Steve do you know what size bar you had installed diameter ? Do you explain the before and after affects?

I can't remember but pretty sure a 1". Car didn't three wheel the high speed corners like it used to. More able to slide even running the pro 2 paddle tire. Not noticeable in the little stuff. Definitely would recommend .

I've installed a couple sway bars. It's fairly straight forward. Just make sure you cycle the suspension from full droop to ful lcompression and not let the link go past roughly 70 to 170 degrees. 

I use 1.25" swaybar tube with .250 wall thickness. Swaybar arm is roughly 11" long from center of swaybar to center of link bolt.

I buy from speedway, they have everything you need.

http://1speedway.com/?route=common/home

What is you’re experience in driving with or without I have only driven cars without ?

I am a sand only guy and my experience has only been positive with no ill effects. Car stays flatter in turns, keeps the front inside tire from lifting. I am installing a swaybar now on my small 2 seat desert dynamics.  Car turns great now but I figure it couldn't hurt.

Everyone loves them for a softer ride, i have installed a couple on a DD car, but some runner a heavier rear spring and they seem a stable ride,   Depending on the engine block and the rear spring combo,   I setup the DD Sandcars with 600 over 700 in the rear, with a Iron Block, with a aluminum block i have done 500 over 600,  under that rate with a LS motor the swaybar comes in handy 

The way Dave did the rear arm camber the cars slide and dont need a sway bar like some cars do,  they are a really stable chassis. 

If you have room, anything can be fabbed up.

Jason Alper on here is pretty knowledgeable with Desert Dynamics.

Make sure where you mount the bar to the chassis is mounted at the very end of the bar.

The moment arm force from these sway bars will rip apart a tube if not done right.

My buddy has this happen to his Black Widow.

Had to move the mounts and then it was fine.
Thank you Lincster,   seems like the Tatums sway a lot, they totaly need a sway bar or they chime walk,  the DD is a straight arrow with the fronts off the ground 

Back