Re-siding a box trailer

Jaybird95

Reaction score
I can't find the thread about places to get my trailer redone.

Any help? 

TIA!

are you talking about reskinning the outside?

i'm curious also, I just got what I feels a good deal on a 24' and would like to reskin it also, if I could find somewhere to buy it i'd try to do it myself, can't be to hard.

are you talking about reskinning the outside?

i'm curious also, I just got what I feels a good deal on a 24' and would like to reskin it also, if I could find somewhere to buy it i'd try to do it myself, can't be to hard.
Yes, I am.

I've thought about doing it my self also but I just don't have the time. 

hardest part is taking off the old skin.  That double sided tape is brutal to remove.  Apply new tape to new panels and stick on.  

Yes, I am.

I've thought about doing it my self also but I just don't have the time. 
i called around okc today and its all 125.00 a sheet, for a 4x8 sheet. they did say some mfg's use a 49" sheet which is really tough to come by. 

If yours is screwed on and not taped, you could take a sheet off, lay it on top of the new one, copy holes and attach. 

so for my 24' I would need 16 sheets for 2k, plus the time. I just wonder what all there is I'm missing lol.

well why wouldn’t you just paint the trailer.   i have a 98 pace trailer which was faded really bad washed it with zep purple all the white came off right down to the primer then we painted it with some single stage urethane came out great. 

8C6479D2-6E32-498C-9BEB-90B859058484.jpeg

6DD23668-B259-4589-9164-33CD08F92314.jpeg

E4E5C37A-6FEB-4787-8DB5-B22C6737C532.jpeg

4D99A7D2-97E7-4E76-874F-30F3A5F69E4A.jpeg

well why wouldn’t you just paint the trailer.   i have a 98 pace trailer which was faded really bad washed it with zep purple all the white came off right down to the primer then we painted it with some single stage urethane came out great. 

View attachment 27280

View attachment 27281

View attachment 27282

View attachment 27283
I have a couple of skinned up issues. but mine's a pace also. and kinda regretting buying it, local shop said don't ever break the top cap on the front, you can't buy them, and some of the stuff they used is hard to find if its still out there. I may just live with mine as is, its a nice trailer, but yours turned out really nice!

My panels are 49" also. They are taped and after 24 years the tape is drying out and the panels are coming loose. I had one fold out on me on the 86 and had to stop and put some screws in it. the only thing that held it on was the roof and the gas fill. I have at least 5 panels that need to be replaced and all the aluminum molding looks like s**t. With the prices of new trailers being what they are I wouldn't mind fixing this one up. I bought it new in 98 and this thing doesn't owe me a dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just finished redoing the ceiling in mine today. previous owner had a leak..........back 8 years ago, had leak fixed and never fixed the wood. those ceilings are really thin, so it looked like hell and the wallpaperish luan was peeling so I ripped it out and went back in with new. overall wasn't hard, 24' took prob a day total, I just bought it for 5k, and that was the big issue with it, the ceiling looked like hell. so 300.00 later (including the extra panels I bought by mistake that I gave to my dad) it looks damn good in there now. removed the 2-4' old fluorescent lights and did 2 new 2ft led's, and will replace the 6 round 12v lights hopefully tomorrow if I can find some replacements, and prob paint it white sometime this summer. but man it looks so damn much better lol. 

Try RB components. They have a lot of trailer parts. 

Well, I spoke with New Trend and sent them all the pics they wanted. They wanted 11k to just replace the aluminum on a 20' box trailer.

I decided to order all the material and do it myself.

After taking a panel off I found that the trailer is skinned with 1/4" luan board and the aluminum is glued to the luan.

The existing adhesive is kind of a green color. Does anyone know what adhesive this might be? Or what is the best for wood to aluminum adhesion?

200.gif

Well, I spoke with New Trend and sent them all the pics they wanted. They wanted 11k to just replace the aluminum on a 20' box trailer.

After taking a panel off I found that the trailer is skinned with 1/4" luan board and the aluminum is glued to the luan.

The existing adhesive is kind of a green color. Does anyone know what adhesive this might be? Or what is the best for wood to aluminum adhesion?
Ace Hardware has a good selection of adhesives in caulking tubes. I would bet they have something. 

It’s a 3m product. I got some when I redid one side of my Universal. I think I had some leftover I’ll take a pic and send it to you when I get home. You can’t get it in California and the big companies won’t ship to you. I found a company in the Midwest that was small enough to not care but big enough to ship it to me. Or if you have an Out of state address just ship it there.

It’s a 3m product. I got some when I redid one side of my Universal. I think I had some leftover I’ll take a pic and send it to you when I get home. You can’t get it in California and the big companies won’t ship to you. I found a company in the Midwest that was small enough to not care but big enough to ship it to me. Or if you have an Out of state address just ship it there.
Thanks, I can have it shipped to a buddy in AZ.

03B62BB0-A5B4-4427-9027-400826CE46C9.jpegHere’s what I used. I believe it’s readily available in America, grainger and quite a few places had it listed online. If you need it shipped to California though let me know and I’ll pm you the company that shipped these to me.

Back