Raptor 90 leaking fuel after carb cleaning

ChasingSand

Reaction score
My daughters quad was having issues staying running so I cleaned the jets on the carb. Now it runs great but when you shut it off fuel starts leaking out of the hose at the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Can the carb be repaired or do I need to buy a new one? Never worked on carbs before and not sure if I screwed something up.

You have an issue with the float or the bowl drain.  

If the float has a hole or has been damaged, it can fill with gas and be too heavy.  This will cause the float and needle valve to stay open.  You can also check the float value to ensure it's clean.  Don't forget to check the seat.

If you removed the bowl drain, these can cause it to leak.  Use fine sandpaper to clean the needle end and clean the seat.  Be careful not to over tighten and strip the bowl.

The quad only has about 5-6 hours of run time if that. I am going to take it all apart again and see.

When I manually close the float the flow does stop. I also pulled the bowl and filled it with water and there are no leaks. There is a long brass pipe that connects to the overflow and it look like when the fuel reaches that point in the bowl it is overflowing. if that makes sense??

Get it all buttoned up and stop running california pump gas. Get ethanol free or run vp. Saves time anger and money long term   

Probably less headache and more effective to buy a new carb and run race gas in it. 

Sounds like a bad float or dirty float valve.

After messing with it, looks like the float needs to be adjusted. Letting too much fuel in.

Sounds like a bad float or dirty float valve.

After messing with it, looks like the float needs to be adjusted. Letting too much fuel in.
This. Simple little bit of muck will cause it to overflow. Carb cleans are easy until that little speck of muck lingers like this is happening to you.

:cheers:

Ended up adjusting the tab that holds the float needle and was able to bench test first to make sure it was adjusted right. Now its back on the bike and not leaking.

Back