Raptor 250 vs Blaster

Tonyd

Reaction score
Which is a better quad for kids moving up from lt80's?

Yamaha Raptor 250 or Blaster......maybe even Honda trx250?

I learned to shift kickstart and mix gas on a blaster when I was a kid. I think the raptor slightly edges it out now. The suspension and stance seemed wider on the raptor 250. But the blaster is cheaper. 

Much more manageable power on the raptor or trx. The TRX gives you the sport clutch option which is a great way to learn a clutch but can be used like an automatic as well. Suspension is best on the raptor then trx followed by the blaster. Blaster definitely the cheapest out of all of them. All depends on what type of riding you’re planning on it being used for.  

Everyone I know that had a blaster, rebuilt those things like every other year. 

Raptor or Honda 250 all of the way, turnkey, they last thing you want to wrench on are the kids bikes.  The only thing the Blaster offers is the overall weight, it is lighter.

If your kids are decent riders I would get the raptor over the Honda. Honda is just a bit clunky. Raptor is definitely more nimble. For what it’s worth both my kids rode the raptor 250s for a few seasons before they bumped up to 450s. I was tired of seeing them have to side hill certain bowls due to lack of hp so I bumped them up. 

My kids went from 80 to blaster. We already had it so they were gonna learn it. Worked great for them power was decent and they had to kickstart it lol. 

ditch the stock oiL injection asap if it has one. 

All will do fine.  Raptor will last longer, performance wise, for them (can ride them as light adults).  If you get a TRX/Blaster, swap out the balloons for flat-profile tires.  The balloons won't slide.

If you don’t mind buying bikes frequently then the raptor or trx. As for the blaster, if you do the oil injection delete and premix your gas, jetted correctly the blaster lasts a long time. Also, with power mods, they are great bikes! Not to mention cheap to repair vs the other two.

Which one do you want to hop onto when the 3 wheelers get fired up for a late night run down to the kiddie track??????

I went through this same dilemma.

My twins went from pretty seriously modded lt80s to Raptor 250s. 

The raptors have been bullet proof for a couple seasons now. 

We've had a few blasters in camp over the years. Seems like they all stick once the rider starts really hammering them as they get better. 

Raptor 250 definitely handles better. Wider. Better geometry. Better suspension.  Try to get the  raptor 250 SE.  The resi shocks arr much better.20211226_151404.jpg20211226_151450.jpg20220226_173713.jpg20220115_155026.jpg20220115_161835.jpg

we've had the lot, the Raptor 250 was hands down the best 

@Poule43 can attest to that!

Don't rule out a 400 or even bigger especially if you find a deal.  If the kids are physically large enough to operate, might as well skip the intermediate bike.

My girls pretty much went from 70/80s to a Banshee and 450.  But they were about 10+/-

Last edited by a moderator:
Back