Radiator re-mounting ideas

EastMT

Reaction score
I will be mounting a new radiator and would like some opinions, suggestions, and ideas. It will be mounted about 4” to the rear of where the previous radiator was to make room for an intercooler should I ever turbocharge the engine. I would like the reworked mounting to look professionally done. Will be using the CBR mounts. What do you think I should do for a support to weld the upper radiator mounts to? Would a tube across where my red arrow is be the cleanest way?IMG_1367.jpegIMG_1368.jpeg

I would get a cbr radiator mount kit out the lower mount on the bar I highlighted. 

then on the highlight going across I  would put a new top bar for the top mounting. Of course depends on radiator height. 

heres how I did mine it’s a Cherokee radiator so it’s only like 12 inches tall 36 wide

7FA304D3-1387-44DC-9C4D-048AD03791D0.png

0C947FF4-F739-44E3-A0F7-DFCDA7385098.jpeg

3B206B4D-FED0-4D66-8D94-94F5D79735F6.jpeg

I would get a cbr radiator mount kit out the lower mount on the bar I highlighted. 

then on the highlight going across I  would put a new top bar for the top mounting. Of course depends on radiator height. 

heres how I did mine it’s a Cherokee radiator so it’s only like 12 inches tall 36 wide

View attachment 101518

View attachment 101519

View attachment 101520
Thanks for the ideas. I will be using the CBR mount kit. The radiator is 31x19" so I am trying to keep it as low as possible for better visibility.

I did the same as 77charger for mounting my Heat Exchanger for my blower.

Is there anything wrong with placing the lower mount off the same tube the that the tray was on like in this picture? The mounts has not arrived yet so I taped a cardboard copy for the picture.IMG_1374.jpegIMG_1372.jpeg

Only problem with the offset mounts is it will want to twist the tube.  Should still be plenty strong for just a radiator.

I added straps to prevent that very thing.View attachment 101574
Smart.  This would at least tie the upper and lower mounts together so they fight each other.  @EastMT, I'd either add similar, add gussets at the tube junction to spread the load out, or at just keep an eye on the welds/tubes where the cross tube joins the chassis and see. I doubt it would fail suddenly without warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was easy, the lower brackets were on the front side of the cross tube and the upper on the rear side of the cross tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brand new radiator mounting kit in the garage. I'd sell it to you for dirt cheap if you wanted it

Back