Radiator mounting location

SanduneSam

Reaction score
I haven’t made any updates on the forum since the site crashed but lots have been done, motor and trans are in, mounts etc..

looking at how I want to mount the radiator I have a few options, I’m leaning toward the middle option, what do y’all think.

39F8E93D-CD74-4A2A-A82F-9C6FFA918483.jpeg

468EF351-DBF3-4296-9499-A1B79493D95C.jpeg

3207FF39-63FD-4C47-BCF5-FABDABB8E132.jpeg

Option one if your doing desert type runs like ocatillo, or plan to do full hood and windshield. Option 3 looks best and will work well with hi quality/ dual fans.

Option one if your doing desert type runs like ocatillo, or plan to do full hood and windshield. Option 3 looks best and will work well with hi quality/ dual fans.
Actually, option 2 would be best if there is a windshield in the plans. The swirl from the windshield will cause troubles up there. Option 2 is the better choice 

what does the back of the car look like 

2 is the worst choice....it looks neat, but your fans will run all the time, for various reasons....like air won't flow through the seats.

3 is doable, as it will be up in the wind, somewhat.

1, your fans will never turn on, but your radiator will look like crap up there....this is my choice

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have room for "#2" because of size and placement of transmission.  If u don't have a hoid it will work with no problem.  I have  put them there on those cars.

The angle on option 2 will hurt you almost as much as the location unless it's ducted well.  Air is lazy.  The elevation of option 2 means that without a swirl tank, you're likely going to have air bubbles (especially if the turbo is water cooled).

While straight up and down is best, looks like the radiator was designed to lay pretty flat (filler neck).  If you mount it vertically, you won't be able to fill any of the tubes above the bottom of the radiator cap without a swirl tank.  If you can get it re-welded on top, vertical mount, if not, lean it back so the bottom of the cap is above the core and duct properly.  There's a catch22 leaning it back, so keep that in mind.  

Ducting:

sddefault.jpg

The longer the duct, the more air will stack.  Be careful with going crazy, but I doubt you have the space for that.  Easiest thing is to make your ducting's entrance vertical like the radiator should be (if angled back, the sides would be longer on top) and at least 4" on the shortest side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back