Radiator mod

Goatpoker

Reaction score
Hey, I got a new radiator and the filler neck needs to be modified since it's mounted at an angle. Any recommendation in the East Valley for a shop?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

All my cars including latest one have filler at an angle a bit of a PIA  but makes using a standard radiator (read that cheap and easy to find) a better option IMO

Since you should be using a recovery system on the radiator, just fill to 1" below the bottom of the cap and fill the reserve reservoir  half way up and as the car comes up to temp and cools down the first time it will fill the radiator and equalize perfectly 

more detail -  I use a pressure filler to bleed all the air bubbles out of any trapped cavities - but you can just fill 1" down the leave the cap off and bring the car to temp - top it off and tighten the cap  and shut the car off the reservoir will fill the radiator and bleed the air out 

If you decide to mod the filler neck, it pays rto make it "really" accessible but the longer it is the less effective the reserve will be.

The way @Fullthrottleguyguy said is the way I would do it.  

The most important detail here is that the car has a "coolant recovery system" OR an "overflow jug".  IMO, the recovery system is the only way to go.  Let the heat do what it's supposed to do. 

Fwiw, I'm also a big fan of thermostats.   

Run it as is.  As long as you have a catch can for it, it will purge the air and fill with coolant.

Run it as is.  As long as you have a catch can for it, it will purge the air and fill with coolant.
exactly, but that only works if the can is coolant recovery - if its a dumb old syle catch can  that just fills from the top  - it will not recover it will just overflow when when the engine is hot and coolant expands it won't pull the fluid back in  - recovery cans fill from the bottom so they never catch air  and are a closed system

Back