Radiator hoses

Kingkong

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm thinking about switching to steel braided lines for the coolant and get rid of the aluminum tubes. Where u guys getting the hose and fittings from ???and what size hose should I be using ?

Why?  Personally, I try and stay away from too much braided line due to the fact there are fuel lines and power lines always near by.

Why?  Personally, I try and stay away from too much braided line due to the fact there are fuel lines and power lines always near by.
Cause I'm redoing my intake system and filters and the tubes are in the way so I figured the braided would be the easiest way to route them then redo the tubes.

I'd do nylon braided.  Cheaper, lighter, less abrasive, looks cleaner (to me).  Coolant is hot, but very low pressure.  Generally rated to 300*F, so plenty for coolant.

If this is an LS, you'd need -20 for the outlet, -24 for the inlet to match factory sizes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly cannot point to any reason to use braided steel lines on radiator lines at all unless you plan on swapping engines alot and need to remove lines quickly.  If you use Steel braided, the lines will be heavy and will be open to electrolysis issues.  even if you use Nylon Braid (a better choice) You will be reducing the size of your lines (restriction) and you will do a lot of work to make it all work - welding on bungs to radiator and water pump - thats work and makes those parts much harder to replace quickly, and Even the Pro's at Earl's the biggest hoser end manufacter in the US  tell me not to use them due to how thin the fittings are and possible corrosion/ electrolysis. I do know I have changed out a few sets back to tubes and hoses ..  

Just IMO 

I honestly cannot point to any reason to use braided steel lines on radiator lines at all unless you plan on swapping engines alot and need to remove lines quickly.  If you use Steel braided, the lines will be heavy and will be open to electrolysis issues.  even if you use Nylon Braid (a better choice) You will be reducing the size of your lines (restriction) and you will do a lot of work to make it all work - welding on bungs to radiator and water pump - thats work and makes those parts much harder to replace quickly, and Even the Pro's at Earl's the biggest hoser end manufacter in the US  tell me not to use them due to how thin the fittings are and possible corrosion/ electrolysis. I do know I have changed out a few sets back to tubes and hoses ..  

Just IMO 
Yeah, -24AN in Nylon would be unobtanium it appears, and restricting the inlet on a water pump is a gigantic no-no.  Definitely looks cool, but chit, this is $5-600 just in hose/fittings.

Just IMO 
So what you're saying is I should have someone redo aluminum tubes then lol 

Don't go full kook and use braided radiator lines. Redo the aluminum tubes.

Well I think that settles that chit thanks guys lol 

I have been using braided radiator lines on my car for almost 3 seasons with no issues. -16 on both radiator and engine...Honda 3.5

So what you're saying is I should have someone redo aluminum tubes then lol 
I do mine in steel its a bit heavier but I can bend it  and add braces that will not crack over time  - and as long as you use an anti corrosive agent like water wetter or antifreeze  they are good for Many years. I recently upgraded a car  that had a Subi to an LS  that I had put the put the Subi in and made the lines in Steel in 2005  - when I took  it apart the line looks like new inside.. But in full disclosure, my personal car has stainless steel hard line tubes  lines 

Back