Quad shop referral?

SPODE

Reaction score
     I am looking to drop off my 08 LTZ400, and my kids  07 LTZ250 to get some mods done after this season is over.  I am looking for engine mods and suspension work.  Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Hi-Desert or Inland empire? 

Resized_20220226_145340.jpeg

@GWTT Steven is in Rancho Cucamonga and is the best guy I know... not a shop but he's the only one I trust to work on my stuff

Not sure what engine mods you want to do to the Z400 but for the money you will spend to get anything above a pipe, sell it off and get a 450.

I would also take my stuff to GWTT if I was in the area.

Your video was sweet when you gave your son a yellow bike to match yours. Maybe you can sell the 400 and find another yellow bike that already has a stronger motor and better stock suspension? Or put the lighter weight kid on the 400? That alone gives it more power and better suspension for free. Sell the 250 to fund a 450. 

Your video was sweet when you gave your son a yellow bike to match yours. Maybe you can sell the 400 and find another yellow bike that already has a stronger motor and better stock suspension? Or put the lighter weight kid on the 400? That alone gives it more power and better suspension for free. Sell the 250 to fund a 450. 
Thanks, yeah he loves this thing.

I am 54 now. I have already had a super fast Raptor with suspension and motor work when I was younger. I have also had a YZF450 that I just didn't care for. I really like the ergos of the LTZ/KFX models. And this one is literally in Mint condition so for me it's a good base to start with. 👍

Thanks, yeah he loves this thing.

I am 54 now. I have already had a super fast Raptor with suspension and motor work when I was younger. I have also had a YZF450 that I just didn't care for. I really like the ergos of the LTZ/KFX models. And this one is literally in Mint condition so for me it's a good base to start with. 👍
It is only a good base though. Everything your going to do to try and make it better will cost more money then the bike is even worth and the HP improvements will be laughable.  The 440 kit was the must have and they didn't even come close to the power the bone stock 450's had.  Leave the engine closed and just work on the suspension. 

dr q is in the high desert. if you want his info let me know. he's the quadzilla king and a suzuki guy for prob 40 years. 2 and 4 strokes. Hesperia I believe, does that sound like high desert lol?

Alan definitely does killer work, my old R just got a new 350PV and DAMN!
Not to hijack but what all are you doing to the R? Let us see some pics. Ok sorry Spode from your videos you seem pretty handy I think you are capable of doing most of the bolt on work yourself. Get the boy into the garage and get after it buddy. 

Put a good pipe on it (quiet) , jet it , open up the airbox lid, drop the front sprocket a tooth.  That is all you have to do to it.  Just find a KTM 450 or 525 you'll like it a LOT more. 

Not to hijack but what all are you doing to the R? Let us see some pics. Ok sorry Spode from your videos you seem pretty handy I think you are capable of doing most of the bolt on work yourself. Get the boy into the garage and get after it buddy. 
I actually sold it to a friend a few years ago and he's completely gone through it again. I'll have to see if I still have any of the pics he sent of all the stuff he redid. After I built it I was gonna keep it forever(LOLOL) It was pristine when I sold it and the guy left it outside under a tarp. It was offered back to me for a fraction of what I sold it for so I bought it back. I just couldn't bring myself to redo it again, so I sold it back to the OG owner from 1986.

Last edited by a moderator:
dr q is in the high desert. if you want his info let me know. he's the quadzilla king and a suzuki guy for prob 40 years. 2 and 4 strokes. Hesperia I believe, does that sound like high desert lol?
I’ve been wanting to swap my Paul Turner/Duncan exhaust on my 91 Zilla with his system! 

I had 2 LTZ400s.  The best I found was the Alba stage 2 kit and drop a tooth on the front sprocket.  Not sure if they still offer those kits and what fuel injection has changed.

Like MWB, I wouldn't waste my money.  450 all day.  There are way more parts available to make you more comfortable on a 450 then you ever will be on a 400.  Get you a 450, give your kid the 400  Boom...done.

Do not waste your time and money on a 440 kits for your LTZ400.  You will not get the results you are looking for and spend way too much money.

And don't waste your time with GWTT...f*ck that guy.  Yeah....he always claimed he "raced" but going round and round with that guy over the years, he always seemed to build for "race" and not just upgrade.  Always criticized other people's work and never listened or learned.  

My problem with the 400's was they couldn't keep up with the buggy rides, had no choice other to upgrade to the 450.  Also the 400 was just a gap measure, my kids really rode them for a year before we upgraded.

I like GWTT, but he's a person/friend and not a shop.

As others have stated - get a stock machine that soot's your needs. I didn't like the YAM 450 either, sure was fast but not the ride I wanted.

Get a RAP700 and just set it up for suspension to the type of riding you do. Don't do any motor work and enjoy it....its plenty in stock trim for the riding you'll do with your boy. Make it match the SUZ 400 he gets when that 250 is not enough.

If you just have to build...I give another vote to CT, they have fairly mild stuff that is bolt on and works.

I’ve been wanting to swap my Paul Turner/Duncan exhaust on my 91 Zilla with his system! 
i think he's running another batch of pipes soon. I had his whole set up. 540 hrd (hot rod duner) lectron carb, pipe set up.

that bike was stupid fast, with elkas it was like a fast couch lol. 

Back