Pro Am Shifter Vs Jamar Pro X--Feedback wanted

ChasingSand

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my shifter in the off season and wanted to see if anyone could share feedback on which model they prefer. Jamar version is about 200 bucks cheaper but not sure how it lines up against the Pro Am shifter.

Interested in this as well. Don't want to mess up your thread but would like to also hear feedback about the Fortin shifter. Any specific reason it's not on your list?

Interested in this as well. Don't want to mess up your thread but would like to also hear feedback about the Fortin shifter. Any specific reason it's not on your list?
No worries, I not really looked into the Fortin unit, but would welcome feedback on that one as well.

I run the jamar and like it i looked at the pro am but dint like the reverse lock out.Been using the jamar for  3 years so far and cant complain.Big improvement over old supershifter

I used the Jamar billet one in 2 buggy’s over the course of 7 seasons. Once adjusted I never had an issue. They were easy to adjust. I don’t know if the pro am one can be 300$ better. 

From what I got from Jamar was that their lever is a lot lighter than Pro Am’s

From what I got from Jamar was that their lever is a lot lighter than Pro Am’s
This ☝🏼  Buddy has an amplitude ls/2d and damn near every season it jumps out of gear randomly and is always adjusting it.  The reverse lock out is a pull up mechanism on the shaft vs jamars push down but actually using the shaft as the lock out.  

I updated to jamar and love it. Never had to adjust and hasn’t popped outa gear in 3 good seasons, and its all billet. 

Fortin shifter is awesome.

I have had the same one for 8 years before it needed a rebuild.

Very simple to rebuild.

Kevin McMullen rebuilt it for $50.

Has reverse lock out.

other than the reverse lockout on the jamar pro x working the same as stock vw the shifters are pretty much the same otherwise.

This ☝🏼  Buddy has an amplitude ls/2d and damn near every season it jumps out of gear randomly and is always adjusting it.  The reverse lock out is a pull up mechanism on the shaft vs jamars push down but actually using the shaft as the lock out.  

I updated to jamar and love it. Never had to adjust and hasn’t popped outa gear in 3 good seasons, and its all billet. 
Just to clarify. The Pro am jumps out of gear randomly? You upgraded from the Pro Am to the Jamar?

I’ve owned both and pro am is a wayyyyy better shifter. Might be double the money but u are getting what u pay for. 

I had the Fortin in my last car and it shifted like butter.

I think the ProAm is just as good and is a little easier to adjust.

I’ve owned both and pro am is a wayyyyy better shifter. Might be double the money but u are getting what u pay for. 
What made the ProAm so much better? I am not apposed to dropping the extra coin, but want to make sure its worth it. Did you ever have to readjust once it was installed or is a set and forget about it kind of deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is kind of out of left field.........  My shifter sits very forward so I have to have one that curves back.  after 3 Crappy Empi's I tried something new.  Lummus spoke highly of it & it got good reviews.  I ordered a boot off of amazon that I put over the base.  so far no issues. 

I will take it apart this off season to inspect. 

https://ronlummusracing.com/product/black-classic-14-quick-shifter/

What made the ProAm so much better? I am not apposed to dropping the extra coin, but want to make sure its worth it. Did you ever have to readjust once it was installed or is a set and forget about it kind of deal?
From what i seen on the pro am was that it had limit screws on both sides for adjustment stops.The pro x only has it on one side which i can limit it from going to far to the 1-2 side (for reverse lock out)

The pro am can limit both sides 1-2 3-4 so maybe a little more adjustability but if adjusted properly both will function in similar fashion,IMO it can come down to what tyoe of reverse lockout you prefer.when i bought my pro x it was about 250 bucks the pro am was about 350 -375 i think.

They will all have to have adjustment only because u will have to modify linkage or ur mount if u change ur shifter, but the stock setting on the shifter itself are really close. The Jamar I had nothing but problems going into second and reverse. I tried numerous times to keep adjusting and get it to work right. After a year of fighting it I went to pro am. Set up linkage and adjustment… it clicks in every gear smooth as silk. Just did a pro am shifter and a buddies car a couple weeks ago and he loves it. U won’t regret it

Jamar’s been fine on mine. Easy to adjust.

I ran the jamar super shifter then got a Pro Am currently. A car in our group has a pro x and they are close quality and reliability but in my opinion have a different feel. both cars running 2ds.  Pro x being very positive feel and the pro am super smooth. Adjustments on either are next to nothing once set. I think it comes down to reverse preference and the pro am does give a little more fine tuning with the 2 side screws. 
I think the pro am is worth the money. My 2 cents. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back