Pretty bummed

Trevor

Reaction score
So I am pretty bummed, i had a noise coming from drivetrain and thought for sure it was the flywheel bolts hitting the clutch plate, which it was hitting you could see the marks. I got new oem flywheel bolts, a new clutch plate, and even had the flywheel turned since it was out. While it was out the trans was also gone through, and i even put a brand new throwout bearing on there while i was at it. Got it all back together finally today for the weekend. There is still a clutch noise of some sort, in neutral idling it just has a little growl to it, nothing outrageous but there. Soon as you press in the clutch it goes away. Literally everything is pretty much brand new. Any ideas? I think this condition generally points to a mainshaft bearing or a throwout bearing cant remember which, but both are new

To help, its a mendeola s4 with VW bellhousing, stage four kennedy 9” single disk clutch. Kartek got me all the parts for the throwout bearings and such

I'm not sure that's much of concern. We are talking drivetrain setups from like 70s design. If you thought you would have no noise difference from clutch in our out, I think you are mistaken. I am no expert, just trying to make you feel better. My car has had that growl for years. Never an issue. Only a 2d but same bell housing 🤷‍♂️

in neutral everything in the trans is spinning all the gears except the ring and pinion. the gears most likely are straight cut and there will be some noise. if it seems excessive pull the drain plug and see how much metal is on the plug. 

Mine had the same noise,its an weddle s4,i talked to the trans builder and he said run it.i played with the slave cylinder adjustment and the noise went away.

I’ve had that same noise in several cars. I remember it worrying me, but after having rebuilt transmissions, pretty new transmissions, and still hearing noise after all these years I’m pretty sure it’s just normal noise from the transmission. When my motors running I hear noise also, a deep rumble. Pretty sure it’s just what goes on. You want something silent, drive a Prius 😂

sorry bud, hope it’s not too disappointing 

In neutral, clutch pedal up, the input shaft and all of the gears (except for R&P) are spinning in the trans.

The gears are helical cut, not straight cut, but they do have coarse teeth for strength. Sometimes there will be a noisy gear, which will typically whine when running in that specific gear, but won't usually make too much noise just idling as there is no load on the gears yet. This type of noise would typically lead me to think that it is a mainshaft bearing, which I would hope was replaced with a new one when you trans was out for service.

Another cause could be the throw out bearing running on the pressure plate fingers if the slave cylinder is adjusted too tight. The arm coming out of the bell housing should have a little free play when pulling forward towards the slave cylinder, usually about 1/8"-1/4" of play. If there is no play and bearing is tight against the pressure plate fingers, you could be hearing the throw out bearing spinning on the clutch.

As said, these transmissions are not necessarily quiet, sometimes they do just make some noise. If your trans builder said it looked good and you have all new parts, then the trans and clutch is probably fine.

Back