Prefered Goggle Lens Color

n2orockss

Reaction score
What color goggle lens does everyone prefer to use for those really bright days in the dunes?

I have sensitive eyes to uber bright light.  When the sun is blazing, I have to wear a "tinted" lense.  I like the "smoke/black".  it works well for me. 

@ night I like a clear lens so my 50+ year old eyes can see as much as possible. 

last year I played around with an amble lens, during the dusk period.  it was helpful when it was hard to see the dunes due to strange shadows.  but it hurt my eyes during the day when the sun was uber bright. 

Last year I bought a couple of Dune therapy goggles, & really being able to reach into my side bag & swapping the lenses w/o having to unbuckle or even take them off. 

I too have eyes that are sensitive to bright lights. I have found that I prefer the darkest amber lenses that I can find. The amber is supposed to help your eyes see the shadows better.

Currently using these

image.png

I've been using the amber colored for many years.  My favorite.  Good for low light too when you're on your way back from a later ride and don't have clears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with the others I use a brown/amber tint. I use that color for my sunglasses as well... it's good for outdoor sports, really makes colors stand out. They work at night in a pinch. The gray or black lenses you can't see squat at night.

I don't use goggles, full face street bike helmets. I bought one about 6 months ago because of it's light weight. When it arrived, I was surprised to find out in addition to the outside clear visor, i had an inside dark smoked visor that had a little thumb lever on the outside that you slide down to pull it in front of your eyes. Pretty slick, just slide a little lever up or down.

For the last few years I have found that the yellow lens works best for when the sun is straight up and the dunes are in white out conditions.  The best lens I ever had was a red lens, yet it turned everybody's skin blue. That was back when I was out front leading rides and made it super easy to see the dunes in any lit condition. I never could find that lens again though.

This year I am going to a full face helmet and will wear my prescription sunglasses under. They are the brown/amber colored ones.  If I didn't have to wear scrip glasses I would wear some Maui Jim's or other glare cutting lens under a full face.  

I don't use goggles, full face street bike helmets. I bought one about 6 months ago because of it's light weight. When it arrived, I was surprised to find out in addition to the outside clear visor, i had an inside dark smoked visor that had a little thumb lever on the outside that you slide down to pull it in front of your eyes. Pretty slick, just slide a little lever up or down.
LOTD, I'd like to see the helmet you bought. Post up a link, I may get one! Thx

I go to Kevin's at vendors and buy a pile of "sand sealed" googles for $10/ea (or whatever they cost) at the beginning of the season.  Yellow for busy weekends at night, tinted for daytime, and clear for everything else.  At that price, screw it.

By the end of the season, no matter which goggles I bought, they're scratched up.  With these, I don't bother with swapping lenses, I just give them to whoever needs a set (someone always does).  They're sealed a little too well and fog when you're sitting still, so I stick them on the chin of my helmet. 

LOTD, I'd like to see the helmet you bought. Post up a link, I may get one! Thx
PCI  Has them pre-wired.  It wasn't until a week after I ordered mine that they showed the drop down sunscreen.

I’ve used the Oakley sand goggles that come stock with a darker lens that work great for snow blind mid day rides.  

We bought two sets of these at the SSSS. Look forward to trying them.  We picked up the amber dark lenses and a set of clears. How are they holding up for you. We didnt have much luck with the Dune Therapy sets. 
I've only had them for 1 season but so far so good.

Any sand get in your eyes?  I tried using my road racing helmet a while back, but sand would blow up around the chin area and swirl inside...   

Any sand get in your eyes?  I tried using my road racing helmet a while back, but sand would blow up around the chin area and swirl inside...   
No. I think my fat cheeks pretty much seal off the bottom edge of the helmet.   LOL

I could never find goggles that could seal properly, I was always driving around squinting one eye or the other and would end up at the end of the ride with my eyes full of sand.

Back