Power Steering

bkuips

Reaction score
I got a factory LS1 power steering pump on my car and it sucks.  if i have to go back and forth quick i lose all power steering.  I was looking at the sweet mfg pump as i have heard that will help out.  Anyone have any input on this.

Here is what i have now

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump/p/duralast-power-steering-pump-63105/272925_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:STE:8367252908&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnsqdBhCGARIsAAyjYjQSa2GCVF0xW2J6Yuo_4Jmzvq9Rjlf75SaQPCLOyG1fg6o6ecNXD2oaAg5cEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What radius is your pulley? You may need to run a 6.5" radius pulley from Howe. I imagine you have a torque generator not an actual power steering system like the power ram types? Anyway, I've seen plenty of cars with that same pump. Basically, I think the pulley puts out more psi, that's needed. Good luck. Oh, and we love pics. Show us the steering system. 

Car has a gear 1 ram style system on it

What radius is your pulley? You may need to run a 6.5" radius pulley from Howe. I imagine you have a torque generator not an actual power steering system like the power ram types? Anyway, I've seen plenty of cars with that same pump. Basically, I think the pulley puts out more psi, that's needed. Good luck. Oh, and we love pics. Show us the steering system. 

I have a honda with stock pump and Charlyn unit and suffered from the same symptoms you described. I drilled out the hole in the pump on the pressure side to 5/32. 100% fixed the issue. Crazy how good steering is now. 

You're describing a volume issue with the pump and not a pressure issue.

Back