Power Steering Question

richard h

Reaction score
Anybody manufacture or ever use a electric power steering hydraulic pump? Would like to keep the rack that is in the car now and doing a motor change. Power steering pump is going to be hard to make fit and had this thought.

Found several made. Fortin has a nice-looking unit, just need to get more data. 

The Fortin pump is made in China and is listed on Alibaba web site for $300.00. The China pump is oem on Volvo and Mercedes. IMO nice looking unit.

Well this is interesting. In my mind, we went electric to avoid hydraulic leaks near the exhaust, and obviously the simplicity but in this case a hydraulic rack, with this nearby can't be bad. Cool! 

Well this is interesting. In my mind, we went electric to avoid hydraulic leaks near the exhaust, and obviously the simplicity but in this case a hydraulic rack, with this nearby can't be bad. Cool! 
Certainly, opens up many options. I did electric but the car we are working with is a Funco with the long hydraulic steering rack in it. Other issue I felt was doing electric on the existing steering shaft would take some work and also on this car be out in wide open view. I don't think they are very attractive to look at.

I plan to run a 2008ish Honda Element hydro center steer rack with the ford/Volvo elect hydro pump on my dirt buggy

The key to any of these “take-offs” is doing it yourself and getting as many of the pieces end to end or eBay.

also elect hydro pumps on

2013-2015 Nissan Altima, Pathfinder

Volvo S40

Back