Power steering cooler?

KyleDodd

Reaction score
I’ve a char lynn power steering setup on my 2 seat SU ultra lite, sweet mfg pump spun by a Subaru. No cooler. 
the power steering fluid gets excessively hot quickly, even when getting car up to temp in the garage not driving.  In the dunes if we are really tearing it up, steering will begin to get stiff because fluid is so hot. 

Does anyone run a cooler on their char lynn setup? Which ones? What fluids? Looking to possibly add a cooler. 

My previous car (a desert prerunner) had a PS cooler and I thought that it was a good idea for that application, where you're running hard continuously for hours. But if your fluid is getting that hot just sitting there in the garage it sounds like something is restricted and it is building pressure and bleeding it off internally through an orifice somewhere. You might want to temporarily tee in a pressure gauge at the discharge port of the pump and see what kind of pressure you have idling with no load on the steering. If there is very much pressure in that condition (like maybe more than 50 psi?) then something is wrong (probably with the Char-Lynn), and a cooler will be a band-aid but probably won't solve the problem. 

Or like suggested above, switch to electric...

Back