Powder coating aluminum wheels.

Grease Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats the consensus on powder coating the whole aluminum wheel. Not just the outside but the inside as well.

Wondering if doing the inside would help with corrosion etc.

Any draw backs??? Bead seating problems??? etc

Im no glamis guru but been re-building banshees and sand cars since I was a wee lad. Just finished my used wheels and my extreme paddles still holding about 10#'s from last season. Powdered the whole wheel and beads then had OMF machine the locks. no issues but I can't speak for the curing process and "if" it affected the integrity of the wheel (aluminum). No issues with 3 hard trips last season tho. No corrosion but again only about 8 months old so far. IMG_4635 2 copy.jpg

who ever you take them too make sure they sand blast them before powder.   I think the rear bead is a pain to get off if needed.  I have had a few and that little bit of powder makes for a tighter seal and removing is a pain but I would do it.  Just cost more. 

I have always done the whole wheel on the douglas' wheels - Initially I worried about the rear bead seating, but I scuff the powder and use bead sealer anyway,. I was told not to do the Beadlock ibn the front so that gets taped off

I dont think i have ever seen just the outside coated, typically it is the full rim, 

Just to be clear, i'm talking about the tire side of the rim. Not the back side. All of my rims have been bare aluminum where tire sealants in the past have corroded or pitted the aluminum. Was wondering if this area was coated would it help or do you think it would be an issue if it started to come off due to corrosion pitting etc.

I just redid my Tatum wheels. I had OMF do them for me because they would do them exactly how i wanted. They polished them first and the powdercoated. They did the inside of the wheel

IMG_4239.jpg

Just to be clear, i'm talking about the tire side of the rim. Not the back side. All of my rims have been bare aluminum where tire sealants in the past have corroded or pitted the aluminum. Was wondering if this area was coated would it help or do you think it would be an issue if it started to come off due to corrosion pitting etc.
what are you using for sealer?

what are you using for sealer?
I'm using or may be using starch as always. I am setting up a new to me (used) pair of 17 inch Douglass wheels. They had some minor pitting already but for the most part were 95% clean and smooth in side.

Back