Polaris, or not

Stinky

Reaction score
I am looking for a SXS or a UTV.  I am just at the beginning stages.  I may look for months, before I get the idea of what I am looking for.  

There are quite a few Polaris on the market in my area.  I prefer Jap stuff....and Honda is at the top of my list, although the Yamaha Rhino is on it.

Is Polaris any good?

I have an aversion to CVT transmissions.  Is it unfounded?

Polaris makes a good machine. They have their flaws like they all do. But overall they are a good reliable machine. They sell allot of them and have many models to fit a verity of types of riding & budgets. CVT’s have come along ways from the Rhino & Ranger days. I would not let a CVT scare you away from a Polaris, Can Am, etc.. 

And lastly you will not find more aftermarket support & accessories for any other brand of UTV. By far Polaris has the most. 

What type of UTV are you looking for? High performance, cross over, Utility, 2 or 4 seats? What type of riding and where do you plan ride. Sand, hard pack desert, mountain trails? 

budget and riding area would the biggest factor of what machine to look for, none of them are perfect

Polaris
Can-am
Yamaha
Honda
ArcticCat
Kawasaki

All make great machines with very different models to suit budgets and riding conditions.

we just picked up a lightly used talon r

so far we love it and the price point was better

trying it out with a set of 31s here at hammers

Depends on where most of your riding will be, as mentioned some perform better than others for specific applications.

As for the CVT, clutch maintenance and spare belts... not a big deal.

I'm a CanAM guy and absolutely love the machine. That said, seeing what Polaris does for the industry and how readily they partner and donate machines and money towards the sport, I am inclined to support them on my next purchase.

As stated it really depends on your intended use.  There are lots of good choices out there.   Polaris makes a good product and there are improvements within the models depending on the year.

I would not be scared of a CVT set up.  

I have owned a Rhino, Polaris XP1000 and now on my second Can Am X3.

All the current crop of SXSs are very reliable.  

How was ur Rhino?  My nephew has one now.  It seems to break a lot.  Top-end rebuild needed & broke the rack & pinion.

I live, somewhat, near Moab.  Dibecki (sp?)Dunes would be a possibility. Mountain trails and a rough steep road that goes in to my secret hunting spot would be another...as would mountain trails.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was ur Rhino?  My nephew has one now.  It seems to break a lot.  Top-end rebuild needed & broke the rack & pinion.

I live, somewhat, near Moab.  Dibecki (sp?)Dunes would be a possibility. Mountain trails and a rough steep road that goes in to my secret hunting spot would be another...as would mountain trails.
My Rhino was good for what it was back then.  I build the motor and turned it into a ticking time bomb.  Sold it when the XP1000 came out.  Actually talked to the guy that bought it from me a few weeks ago.  He also killed the motor and sold it.  He has to Polaris XP1000s.  

For Moab area I would be looking at a car that can roll on 32" tires.  The Kawi would be a good choice.  Great trail and rock crawling rig.  Sporty but has plenty of storage and good suspension. 

Honda Talon should be okay, but I would probably go with the 4 seater for a better overall ride. 

Can't go wrong with a Polaris General - can trail ride, hit some rocks and has a bed for your hunting needs.  A chit ton of accessories and over all a great trail rig. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Sand Shark said. Go look at the Kawasaki KRX. IMO that is the best stock UTV for Rock crawling, running trails ect. It was designed for what you are saying you want to ride. You get allot of performance like you would see in a RZR 1000 or X3, but where it lacks is in power. But your type a riding you don’t need that power. 

Agree the KRX or Polaris General is best for what you described, #2 would be the CanAm Commander Sport XPT, then either the Polaris XP1k or Wildcat XX 3rd. For hunting you need STORAGE.

The only downside to the KRX would be dune riding, the General I drove was EPIC in the dunes.

Only reason for not recommending the CanAm X3 is cost -vs the others.

For what you described I would look hard at the Kawi. Only heard great things about it, friend just picked one up and loves it. Its only issue in non turbo so lower power. Would not be good for the dunes. Then the Honda could be a good second choice if you are worried about a belt. Can an and Polaris is ford vs chevy, I dont think you need to spend that much.  

Another vote for the KRX. Also, check out the Shock Therapy video on what UTV to buy. For a non-turbo, non dunes machine, he recommended the KRX or Wildcat XX for their suspension. Due to concerns over possible future parts availability, that puts the KRX in front. Of all of the video reviews I've seen of the KRX, most are very impressed with it and the few complaints were very minor, nothing major.

Back