PLUG FOR TIRE REPAIR WARNING

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Just went round and round with Discount tire, and had Big-O repair the tire,  really do not know why i go to Discount, think only there lobby is more comfortable,  

So they will not repair a tire if it was repaired by someone else, so for example if you have a plug in the tire, they will not repair that area,  

But if you remove the plug then they just think it will have a screw in it, 

Or at best if you have a Rope Plug in the tire,  you best to pull it out and put a screw in it,  

I just looked at this for a repair, this plug might not be a issue 

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1075 Standard Model Tire Plugger: Automotive

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1000 Pocket Tire Plugger: Automotive

Discount claims that a rope plug like the Slime style will collect moisture and rust the belt, plus the file will destroy the belt,  

If you plug your tire, make sure to remove them before Discount beats you up, or find another tire shop,  

I have not used Big-O in years,  but is was no hassle and had me in and out in 30 minutes,  Discount wanted 4 hours,  

Screw Discount Tire.... Quick story...

Around 2000, I had new tires put on a Ford Sport Trac before heading to the desert.... In Jacumba, the steering wheel starts shaking and gets worse before I get to El Centro... I go to Discount there and they cant get the tires to ballance... Manager tells techs to take tires off rims to inspect...... The Solona Beach store where I got the tires had broke all the TPMS bands on the sensors and used red duct tape to put them back on the rims. I had a wad of red duct take the size of a softball in each tire!!!

The manager in the SB store accused me of doing it. lol

Screw Discount Tire.... Quick story...

Around 2000, I had new tires put on a Ford Sport Trac before heading to the desert.... In Jacumba, the steering wheel starts shaking and gets worse before I get to El Centro... I go to Discount there and they cant get the tires to ballance... Manager tells techs to take tires off rims to inspect...... The Solona Beach store where I got the tires had broke all the TPMS bands on the sensors and used red duct tape to put them back on the rims. I had a wad of red duct take the size of a softball in each tire!!!

The manager in the SB store accused me of doing it. lol
That's lame.. why did you put red duct tape inside your tires dude! hahahahahahhaahahah! 

that aside....

its been . 20+ years ago... 

My son just had  new tires put on his car poor kid 2 weeks later hits a piece of metal happen to be on outer edge i put a plug in it they still pro rated the tire.He didnt buy the warrranty but was like 20-30 bucks to replace.

I've been plugging tires for 30 years and never had one fail or cause more damage to the tire. Such an old school mentality that plugging tires is bad. It might be a DOT or insurance thing that causes tires stores to not be able to touch them. 

Just went round and round with Discount tire, and had Big-O repair the tire,  really do not know why i go to Discount, think only there lobby is more comfortable,  

So they will not repair a tire if it was repaired by someone else, so for example if you have a plug in the tire, they will not repair that area,  

But if you remove the plug then they just think it will have a screw in it, 

Or at best if you have a Rope Plug in the tire,  you best to pull it out and put a screw in it,  

I just looked at this for a repair, this plug might not be a issue 

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1075 Standard Model Tire Plugger: Automotive

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1000 Pocket Tire Plugger: Automotive

Discount claims that a rope plug like the Slime style will collect moisture and rust the belt, plus the file will destroy the belt,  

If you plug your tire, make sure to remove them before Discount beats you up, or find another tire shop,  

I have not used Big-O in years,  but is was no hassle and had me in and out in 30 minutes,  Discount wanted 4 hours,  
Have used this type of plugs for years. I have had ATV tires with the Tulpe plug last for decades. Now with steel belted tires I have seen the steel belt to saw off the plug so if used with a steel belted tire it needs to have an inside patch as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been plugging tires for 30 years and never had one fail or cause more damage to the tire. Such an old school mentality that plugging tires is bad. It might be a DOT or insurance thing that causes tires stores to not be able to touch them. 
Liability.

Like @J Alper said...pull plug, then take tire to store  :lol:

Back