Pistol sights, what say you?

Bobalos

Reaction score
As most of you know I'm looking for a 9mm and shot a whole mess of stuff recently. I started looking into the "red dot" style of sights and there is a good but there to see. Not just the green VS red but different types. I tried to find an A vs B vs C type of thing but am not sure what to even call them....

Thanks @EastMT, you brought up a good point... what am I doing... this is for a 9mm semi, for target shooting, and possibly for pistol competition. Never carried, not for hunting.

Any of you more experienced pistol shooters have any suggestions on things to read or watch that explains it.
How about your experience with them?

Thanks

Last edited:
Optics including red dots are great for hunting or target practice. Work or carry get night sights. The greater the distance the less accurate red dots become because of the dot size.

I got older and found a red dot made it easier to hit the target
I’m using a Holson on a 1911 with adapter dove tail gizmo so I did not have to cut the slide
It’s a 407 or 507 it is red with dot options small dot, big circle with small dot or big circle no dot and maybe one more
There are many choices in size of dot from 1 MOA to 6 MOA i don’t think a small dot say 2 MOA or less will hurt your target acquisition at any reasonable distance for combat shooting or self defense i can shoot a full size silhouette at 50 yards, as long as it rings at that distance I’m happy

I have a Trijicon RMR on my VP9. I really like it. Very clear and easy to pick up.

Jeff you have any thoughts on this? I was looking @ the pistol matches @ Pala & it looks like fun.

@punkur67

I have a Trigicon SRO and a holosun 507k. I have shot a few others too. I just ordered a Holosun EPS carry but haven't received it yet. I will say the SRO is the easiest dot to aquire quickly. Also be warned that once you shoot a red dot you will want them on every pistol that you own.

There are other features to keep in mind also. Like the SRO needs to be turned on and off manually. Where the holosuns have shake awake that turn it on and off automatically. That's a great feature for a ccw. The dot selection is a personal preference. I prefer the smaller single dot like a 2moa.

Is moa a rating if size or accuracy?

FYI. Everything you shot last week was Trijicon SRO except for my Sig which had a Holosun EPS geen dot, and the Alien which is a proprietary optic. All 2 MOA.

FYI. Everything you shot last week was Trijicon SRO except for my Sig which had a Holosun EPS geen dot, and the Alien which is a proprietary optic. All 2 MOA.
The one that was the most crisp and my eye liked the best was the green.

I was so focused on the guns I really didn't notice the optics...

Last edited:
The one that was the most crisp and my eye liked the best was the green.

I was so focused on the guns I really didn't notice the optics...
I kind of like the green dot myself, although I think the SRO might be just a tiny bit sharper. I think the Holosuns shake on feature is nice even for just a range use gun, I've forgotten to turn off my SRO's more than once.

The Holsons also have a side opening to replace the battery some makes have to be removed from the gun and may loose the zero
I have been shooting a pistol steel challenge match the first Saturday and a 2 gun ar15 and pistol match the 3rd Saturday at Escondido fish and game range near lake Wholford for about the last year and a half these are timed and a 5 second penalty for misses
Way better than shooting paper 3 mag changes per stage and per gun
It teaches how to clear jams and reload while staying on target
Is amazing how different it is to pull a mag clear a jam and remember to rack the slide before shooting again
You learn a lot by watching others mistakes but nobody’s laughing they have all done it

I sent out one of my Glock 19's to have the slide milled to fit a Holoson SCS. Doing it that way eliminates and adapter plates and allows you to still use stock sites. The SCS is smaller then the 506-507 and is solar powered with a 20 year battery. It does not have the shack awake though. Apparently it is designed to just stay on. Comes with a green dot with 4 setting.
My Hell cat came sight ready so I went with The RMS Shield, low profile and again co witness the stock sights. Has a 2moa red dot

Attachments

• IMG_20240913_100452692.jpg
    IMG_20240913_100452692.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240913_100447291.jpg
    IMG_20240913_100447291.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240913_064548126.jpg
    IMG_20240913_064548126.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240913_064102447.jpg
    IMG_20240913_064102447.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5
My wife’s 19 with a Holosun she loves it

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Pretty interesting review of red dots. I like that he shoots competitively.

This guy does some good videos too

Back