PBS S4 help

Looney Duner

Reaction score
So last trip my tans started to sound like a tin can full of gravel, got home and pulled it out, and tore it down, so far the only part that is toast is the main bearing. Got lucky and stopped before it got worse. Anyways, I'm looking at changing 3rd and 4th gear, and while stacking the gears together on the work bench I got crap moved around out of order. I looked at the diagram on weddle's website for the s4 mendeola, I thought they were the same. Now I'm not so sure. Weddle shows the gears being stacked 1-2-3-4 where mine appears to be stacked 1-3-4-2. I've been staring at the shift drum for the last hr. Rotating it in my hand....

Can anyone confirm or deny? Also does anyone have pbs specific diagrams??? It would be really nice to have some information. 

I remember when I had my PBS and they were still in business they said that 1 & 2 were next to the case which made it so they would flex less under load. 
However, I would confirm that with Weddle or a good builder like Sam at Rancho. 

I cant remember if 1-4-3-2 or 1-3-4-2. 

2nd is definitely next to the ball bearing. Something is leaning me towards 1-4-3-2. The positions in the shift drum will confirm placement. Not too difficult to follow the paths for the shift forks. 

Let me call @itsweeks, he had Daniel put his together, and it was out of order, he knows what the stack is,  

Thanks guys, I followed the shift forks and confirmed it. It kinda sucks, I can't find any parts diagrams, or exploded view. Nothing. Makes it a little difficult. It's all apart and all clean. Due to time constraints, I made the decision this afternoon to drop it off at folts tomorrow. I have way too much going on right now to deal with it....

My wife keeps reminding me that I have no time, and I work hard enough to just pay someone a few bucks to make my life easier.  She said quit being a stubborn ass and overwhelming yourself... yea but I like to do it myself 😆

Back