Parts of a bypass shock

Bobalos

Reaction score
I'm looking for the proper names of the parts of a bypass shock.  There are 2 tubes I'm assuming are for compression with the blue caps and one with the red cap.  What are those called? 

Is the big thing on the side called an accumulator or reservoir or what?  

Thanks 

20220905_130825.jpg

One is called the thingamajig, the other is called the whatchamacallit.    :lol:

The canister is called the reservoir, there is a Schrader valve in the cap to adjust the Nitrogen pressure.

The tubes are called bypass tubes, the blue ones adjust compression, the red ones adjust rebound and the gold ones don't have a check valve in them so they flow in both directions and give adjustment at normal ride height to smooth out the small chop. Think of it as a short compression and rebound adjustment in one tube, adjusting that valve adjusts oil flow in both directions.

If you look at a Fox shock vs a King shock, you'll see that King shock bypass tubes each control a different part of the stroke, where Fox shocks have bypass tubes that overlap sections of the stroke, so the longer tube controls the longer section of the stroke and the shorter tube next to it also flows oil for a short section of the same stroke.

Maybe off the shelf shocks. But I know for a fact, with King, you can customize your tubes however you want to your spec.

Pretty sure you can with Fox as well.
All I've ever seen is off the shelf shocks. I assumed that since they were building them differently, whichever was first might have patented their style, so the other had to use a different style. 

My understanding was if you custom ordered King shocks, you could specify the length of the tubes, but one tube would end and the other tube would start at the same point, where the Fox shocks would be parallel to each other. Is that incorrect?

For example, I ordered 3 tube Fox front shocks. They only made 2 tube in that diameter, so I had to custom order it with the 3rd tube (2nd compression.) That tube was next to and 1/2 the length of the first compression tube. I wasn't asked if I wanted them attached in series.

Last edited by a moderator:
All bypass shocks can be customized as far a tube placement.  Tube length and placement are considered "zones".  The length of the tube is based upon how long you want the piston to be "bypassed".  The piston oil flow is always in play, but allowing some on the oil on compression and or rebound to go through these one way check valves instead of forcing all of the oil through the piston alone.  By opening or closing the check valve dictates said bypassed flow.  The shorter the tube, the smaller the effected  "zone" is.  Internal bypass shocks use a very similar setup, but you have to go inside the shock to make adjustments to the bypass ports.  Either by changing the port size of changing the reeds that cover said ports.  Once you get past the bypass ports, all of the oil is forced through the piston alone.  The shock reservoir contains nitrogen and a IFP (internal floating piston).  It is there so separate the high pressure nitrogen from the oil. Its main purpose is to help prevent cavitation by keeping pressure on the oil for the rebound stroke of the shock.  The shock piston and the reservoir piston are completely different.  The shock piston has controls oil flow via design and the shim stack.  Where as the resi piston is basically a cap with seals that allow no oil or nitrogen to flow through it.  In certain areas of the stroke, the bypass pistons work, once the piston passes that shock, it out of play (for a lack of better term).  The slower that shaft movement, the easier oil flows through the piston, valve stack and bypass tubes/check valve.  Okay, I've confused myself enough. Hopefully my jibber jabber helps you understand slightly better.   :ez:  

Thank you gents for the help, this all very informative but not what I'm actually after.  Guess I'm just not communicating well at all today.....  

Notice the numbers written on the bypasses.  I want to write that down and scrub the numbers off of my new paint job.   What is the short compression one called and the long compression one called so i can write them down correctly?? If short compression and long compression is it, that is ok with me....  

The extention one is easy, there is only one.  

You are exactly right. I just want it to make sense to him when he sees the car the next time. 

I assumed there was an Industry standard naming convention I could use.  

I sent him a text to ask him what he wants.... 

You are exactly right. I just want it to make sense to him when he sees the car the next time. 

I assumed there was an Industry standard naming convention I could use.  

I sent him a text to ask him what he wants.... 
We always write the number of turns open from FULLY CLOSED.  SC for short compression would suffice and so on IMO  :ez:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back