Opinions wanted about a car

EastMT

Reaction score
This is not the car I asked about yesterday. I am not in hurry nor do I have to buy anything right this minute. My opinion is that the economy in the future will drive down the average price and time may present better deals.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/snw/d/san-diego-2014-tech-honda-22l-turbo/7583268186.html

What do you think about this car?

Does anyone know this car? (the owner has not had it very long)

Anything particular to criticize about the car or anything I should be concerned with?

The longevity of a high horsepower 4 cylinder does concern me. 

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech 3s are cool cars. They have a few weak points. That motor package may be cool or a ticking time bomb. 

I have always loved the smaller mid engine cars, especially tech 3.  The 2.2 Subie is a good engine, runs strong and super reliable.  Tech 3's are set up perfect for a Subie.  I would guess this 2.2 is about 220hp to the wheels??

I have always loved the smaller mid engine cars, especially tech 3.  The 2.2 Subie is a good engine, runs strong and super reliable.  Tech 3's are set up perfect for a Subie.  I would guess this 2.2 is about 220hp to the wheels??
It's a 2.2 turbo 4 cylinder Honda with a claimed 500 horsepower. The thought did cross my mind that a Subaru or 3.5 Honda could be swapped in the future if the current engine gave up the ghost.

This specific Tech3 is a copy of the SU Ultralight 2 seat mid engine.  

I'm not familiar with the Honda 2.2.  I have an SU Ultralight with a 2.5 Subi/2D combo  Mine is a 450HP package and it is a rocket.   I had originally thought the 5 link rear would be a weak point/factor but over time I've grown to love it.  It works well and I've had no issue.  They don't do well in the whoops (light rear end hops) or on long straight aways going fast (they wiggle in the rear a little).

To me, this is a $12-18K car at best.

This specific Tech3 is a copy of the SU Ultralight 2 seat mid engine.  

I'm not familiar with the Honda 2.2.  I have an SU Ultralight with a 2.5 Subi/2D combo  Mine is a 450HP package and it is a rocket.   I had originally thought the 5 link rear would be a weak point/factor but over time I've grown to love it.  It works well and I've had no issue.  They don't do well in the whoops (light rear end hops) or on long straight aways going fast (they wiggle in the rear a little).

To me, this is a $12-18K car at best.
Thanks for the info and valuation.

It's a 2.2 turbo 4 cylinder Honda with a claimed 500 horsepower. The thought did cross my mind that a Subaru or 3.5 Honda could be swapped in the future if the current engine gave up the ghost.
My bad on the engine, I guess I need to read better, haha

Gary, the old owner of Tech3 built most of his cars w/ Honda 3.5s.

5 link is their weak links.

Carl at Vtec performance usually supplied the Honda's, maybe search him out to see if he built that motor? 

Would need build specs on that motor. H series without sleeves will be problematic at 500hp as claimed (doubtful at 10psi). Either way, the turbo is a bit large for 4-banger duning, so keep in mind you’ll have to beat the piss out of it to stay in power (not necessarily a bad thing). 

Rear 5 link is a weak point, but if you replace all hardware and heims regularly, not a major concern other than breaking the 5 link because you crashed it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, the old owner of Tech3 built most of his cars w/ Honda 3.5s.

5 link is their weak links.

Carl at Vtec performance usually supplied the Honda's, maybe search him out to see if he built that motor? 
Thanks for the info and the lead. I'll try to get ahold of that guy.

Would need build specs on that motor. H series without sleeves will be problematic at 500hp as claimed (doubtful at 10psi). Either way, the turbo is a bit large for 4-banger duning, so keep in mind you’ll have to beat the piss out of it to stay in power (not necessarily a bad thing). 

Rear 5 link is a weak point, but if you replace all hardware and heims regularly, not a major concern other than breaking the 5 link because you crashed it. 
How often or after how many days use would you suggest replacing all the heims and hardware?

"you’ll have to beat the piss out of it to stay in power (not necessarily a bad thing)"  Does that mean it will be a mild duner until/unless you hold the pedal down?

How often or after how many days use would you suggest replacing all the heims and hardware?

"you’ll have to beat the piss out of it to stay in power (not necessarily a bad thing)"  Does that mean it will be a mild duner until/unless you hold the pedal down?
Everything is wrong with that engine. Rockwood is right. How is it 500hp with only 10psi boost on a 185 hp engine stock. I'd ride it til it blows! All 300hp of it (maybe) lol then throw a 3.5 honda in there and be done. Don't need a turbo IMO. 

Everything is wrong with that engine. Rockwood is right. How is it 500hp with only 10psi boost on a 185 hp engine stock. I'd ride it til it blows! All 300hp of it (maybe) lol then throw a 3.5 honda in there and be done. Don't need a turbo IMO. 
I appreciate the telling it like it is.

Heims: every other season-ish most likely. Not certain, but it’s not terribly expensive compared to what happens if they fail. Inspect for loose hardware, cracks, etc every trip for sure.

Beat the piss out of it: I mean it’ll be like a 2 stroke with no power valve: nothing….. WA-BAM. Sub-4000rpm will need a downshift. No one’s just “duning in 3rd” with that. :biggrin:

With that turbo, decent cams and some head work, maybe 350hp. Lol.

Hp numbers on that motor are BS. Those cars are cool. Lite weight and set up good for a turbo 3.5 Honda. Seems expensive for what’s there. 

Back