Onan Carb

RIDERED

Reaction score
There was a thread on the old board about carbs for the Onan in the $40 to $50 range. I see them on Amazon, but I was wondering how they are holding up? There was some good information on the old thread but unfortunately that's lost. 

Ive had one for 2 years.. No issues

my chineaseum one from the jungle site worked better than the oem carb.

I just disassembled mine and cleaned it. No Go. I have done it in the past and had good luck with it. For some reason she doesn't want to fire this time. 

For $50 you cant go wrong.  

I have the California evap model carb on my onan - for some reason the amazon carbs don't work for me. It fires but I get over rev / over freq (hz)

cant figure it out... so it sits... dead.

Replaced one on my son's 5er and it's worked for 3 years now. At the price if it fails throw away and get another.
i have two seasons on the one i have a 5500 onan still working great..   before i replaced the carb i spent 60 for the choke pull off that was bad on the oem. the china carb cam complete with the solenoid and pull off    1000% happy 

I am up and down about them, 

The Onan worked perfect,  

The Remain took some time but think i have it figured out,     The main issues i have is when it starts and warms up it is good,  but it can be hard to start, and stay running till it warms up,    I pulled the Electric choke off the Onan and adjusted it where it starts way better,   

That is the only issue is the choke did not work correctly and flood out at start up,  

I would buy a couple of the China carbs before i purchased another Onan carb 

for 41.50 i dont think i would ever take a carb apart to clean it again
Agreed.... However I cant leave things alone and I have to try and fix them myself first. 

When I cleaned the original one and it didn't start I thought about pulling it apart again. Then I thought about what my time is worth and how much the replacement cost.  

I have 2 Onan 5500s. Whenever mine quit running, it was always the shutoff solenoid, not the carb. Th pintle at the bottom of the solenoid gets all gummed up and it takes some "exercising" of the solenoid with intermittent 12v and carb cleaner.

I also bought 2 new carbs so I can easily swap out the dirty solenoids and drop them into the ultrasonic cleaner.

I ordered a knock off from EBay. It fired right up and ran at home. Ran for about 30min at the desert and died. Put the old carb back on. I just ordered the one from Amazon. Let’s see how she does! 

I ordered a knock off from EBay. It fired right up and ran at home. Ran for about 30min at the desert and died. Put the old carb back on. I just ordered the one from Amazon. Let’s see how she does! 
when it dies pull the fuel solenoid off or if there is a fuel bowl drain open it and see if there is any fuel in the carburetor. mine was doing the same thing the fuel pump would only run for about 30 minutes. i guess the pump would get warm and stop pumping      the fuel solinoid is a fuel shut off it stops the fuel when you shut it off so the engine doesn't diesel . usually only required on equipment with a heavy rotating mass connected to it that keeps the engine spinning after it has been shut off. in a emergency you can cut the pin out of the fuel shut off and re install it and just un plug the fuel pump to shut it off 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the California evap model carb on my onan - for some reason the amazon carbs don't work for me. It fires but I get over rev / over freq (hz)

cant figure it out... so it sits... dead.
 over speed its a governor adjustment connect a hz meter to the output you want between 61 and 63 hz.    there is a arm in the motor that has the linkage going to the carburetor   on the arm there is usually a spring with a long threaded eye bolt to set the tension that is the rpm adjustment if its running to fast you should be able to adjust it make the spring tighter slows the engine unless there is a internal problem with the governor

when it dies pull the fuel solenoid off or if there is a fuel bowl drain open it and see if there is any fuel in the carburetor. mine was doing the same thing the fuel pump would only run for about 30 minutes. i guess the pump would get warm and stop pumping      the fuel solinoid is a fuel shut off it stops the fuel when you shut it off so the engine doesn't diesel . usually only required on equipment with a heavy rotating mass connected to it that keeps the engine spinning after it has been shut off. in a emergency you can cut the pin out of the fuel shut off and re install it and just un plug the fuel pump to shut it off 
Ya I’ve been cleaning my carbs for years on my generator. As said earlier, the problem was always a gummed up solenoid. Then the generator started hunting and I couldn’t get it to stop. So I ordered that knock off carb. It ran at home for like an hour perfectly. Two weeks later we went to the desert and it ran for like 30 min and died. So I put the old one back on to finish the trip. 

That reminds me, I need to pick up a spare fuel pump! Anyone got the knock off link for that?!

Back