Onan 5500 shuts down due to code 36. (Engine stopped without command by controller)

megadesertdiesel

Reaction score
2023 Genesis Supreme Vortex fifthwheel toyhauler with Onan 5500.  Has ran great for two years now zero issues.  Very religious of running generator under load once a month and topping off the 8-6v lead acid batteries i have.  

-Veterans Day trip to Glamis turned on second AC unit and generator surges here and there but still runs.  

-get home after Vets and dump a can of seafoam into 32 gallon fuel station/genny tank

-replace Onan fuel pump just because and add a clear filter just before carburetor to see fuel flow. now i have a known working spare pump.

-run generator at home with both ac units running and zero surging for 45 minutes. 

-Thanksgiving trip, day two notice when genny is running its surging again, no big deal as we only use it for the toaster in the mornings and have solar to keep batteries topped off.  

-thanksgiving day three fire up genny to have breakfast and it surges twice and shuts down with code 36

- go out check fuel, yup its got fuel and genny wont restart, i kick off the breakers at the genny and the breakers on my control trailer.  Generator fires up and runs perfect.  start flipping breakers starting with genny then control panel.  I get to one labeled in pen "12 Volt S/o-1 30 amps" flip it and genny shuts down same code 36.  Bingo!  pull the panel and trace the wire find out its the 110v input to the Progressive Dynamics PD4575A Converter.  So i leave the breaker off and finish my weekend using the solar to charge the batteries, which sucked due to overcast.

- i get home and mess with it this week, kept convertor 110V outlet off, plugged trailer into shore power.  Then something hit me that i remembered from the old weekend warrior days when electrical went wonky it was usually the damn GFCI in the bathroom popped.  Sure enough i look and the GFCI is popped in the bathroom.  Reset it and BOOM! the Solar controller shows charging by converter.  It was too late last night to run the genny and piss off the neighbor so i called it a temporary win.  

so the main question is why does the GFCI pop and why would it cause a load and kill the genny?  Possible bad converter?  They are made to be replaced easily at about $300, could be going out or just a fluke. What say ya'll

My gfci’s tend to trip because my toddler likes to push buttons. Always makes for a fun mystery game of wondering what he touched. 

Now I need to go check my gfci to see if that's what was causing issues with my generator 

The Converter is just a battery charger, don't think it should shut down the gen set, 

does it surge or just turn off, 

mine just turned off, and it was overfilled on oil.  

After draining 16oz-ish of oil out, resetting the GFCI outlet and adjusting the elevation screw on the car a little she runs perfect under a load with zero surging.  Its amazing the little things that severely alter the operation of these generators. 

After draining 16oz-ish of oil out, resetting the GFCI outlet and adjusting the elevation screw on the car a little she runs perfect under a load with zero surging.  Its amazing the little things that severely alter the operation of these generators. 
Glad it worked, i can not even fathom that to much oil will cause this to happen.  

Back