Onan 5500 prime.

MegansDad

Reaction score
Went to exercise the gen this weekend and when I pushed down on the button for prime I got nothing. 
Used starting fluid and could get it running for a few seconds.

Do I have a bad fuel pump?

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and see if you are getting any fuel when you hit the start button.   When my fuel pump went out the repair guy checked for kinks and holes in the fuel line too.     

Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Usually you can pull the hose off and hold prime and it will squirt fuel. 

trailer or Motorhome?
5th wheel toy hauler.  2017 year. 
Trailer is in AZ and it was hot as balls (and dark) Saturday night so I did not try and diagnose at all. 
I will take a fuel pump with me next time I go. 

5th wheel toy hauler.  2017 year. 
Trailer is in AZ and it was hot as balls (and dark) Saturday night so I did not try and diagnose at all. 
I will take a fuel pump with me next time I go. 
The reason I asked, with my motorhome the pick up tube broke inside of the tank.  When it comes to trailer it becomes a bit simpler. 

Also, the generator in motor homes won’t run when the tank is under a 1/4 tank. 

Also, the generator in motor homes won’t run when the tank is under a 1/4 tank. 
It has plenty of fuel. 
Heading back to Yuma next weekend so I will give update after new fuel pump installed. 

Maybe some animal got to wires that feed power to the pump. This happens often here in sw when rv sits for awhile.

I will check that out. It ran on starting fluid so hoping I only have a bad fuel pump. 
We found this on son's generator. Actually found a rat set up home in the gen once. Yes, we have done it a few times. Try and protect but they still manage to do damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t find a fuel pump in San Diego, and can’t ship one to my house.  Anyone  know where to get one for Onan 5500 this Saturday in Yuma?

I can’t find a fuel pump in San Diego, and can’t ship one to my house.  Anyone  know where to get one for Onan 5500 this Saturday in Yuma?
Can't help you with the Yuma thing but whenever that happens to me on Amazon or other sites, I go to eBay or Walmart online. They don't seem to care as much about Cali laws

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you with the Yuma thing but whenever that happens to me on Amazon or other sites, I go to eBay or Walmart online. They don't seem to care as much about Cali laws
this is how i got the fuel pump for my 5500, just went on ebay, no issues shipping it. 

I've gotten one from autozone in yuma before.  Guy knew exactly what it was and where it was at.   Worked for years until I sold my coach

Pretty sure I have a spare one but I'm in Havasu.

I also have a spare 5500 carb, plugs and fuel filter that I no longer need.

Back