Oil pan recommendations?

Kansas T

Reaction score
I just purchased a rear engine LS powered buggy and I'm curious which oil pan is recommended?  It has a F body pan on it, but I'm worried about oil starvation during wheelies.  Some friends are using the front sump GTO pans on their buggy's.  Since the price has skyrocketed on that pan, are there some better options?

The F body pan is the Worst made, it holy has 3/4 of a windage tray, 

The only pan I really recommended is the 2013 Camaro oil pan, they are stupid cheap, around $300, they are a mid sump 8 quart oil pan, 

Chevy 12640748: LS Oil Pan 2010-2015 LS3/L99 Camaro/G8 - JEGS High Performance

any windage tray will work besides the F BODY, the f body oil makes air in oil 

CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE Windage Tray - Oil Pan LS1 12558253 | eBay

you will need a oil pan baffle with any pan, 

NO LS pan has oil starvation, but having crank whip will be the larger issue, the GTO is just as bad as the F body, I try to keep the crank out of the pan so you do not whip the oil into mostly FOAM, 

Camaro SS / G8 / SS / Caprice PPV Racing Oil Pan Baffle (improvedracing.com)

then you will need low oil pressure delete, 

LS3 oil pan oil pressure bypass delete | eBay

This will keep from the pump going into bypass 

Take off pan $160

Crate Motor Take Off Chevy LS3 Wet Sump Oil Pan Hot Rod LSX Swap 12640748 GM 15 | eBay

THIS IS THE FULL KIT, PAN PICKUP AND TRAY

GMP-12640748-K - Pace Camaro/G8/SS New LS3 Oil Pan Kit GM (General Motors) (paceperformance.com)

STUPID CHEAP, $325

Thanks for the info.  I happen to have one of those pans already off of a previous project.  Looks like I need to order a baffle and plug.

Things you never here from a Rzr owner... "you get oil starvation during wheelies?"
Things you never hear from a sand rail owner..."I just broke my belt can I get a tow back to camp?"

Don't forget about an 8qt pan from a 2008 Pontiac G8 with an L76.  I run one and it works well.

Thanks for the info.  I happen to have one of those pans already off of a previous project.  Looks like I need to order a baffle and plug.
Thats a good recommendation from @JAlper  if it fits, that pan is deeper than the F-body by over an inch.  Always better to be safe.

However...

Like 99% of sand car owners using F-body pans, I never have issues with F-body pans, and Long wheelies are extremely common for me.

The F-body pan gets a bad rap from people that put high volume pumps in the cars or incorrectly shim (or leave off) the windage tray altogether and suck the pan dry at high RPM. If you are not running a Melling 10296 or 10355 Pump, the F body will be great.  In the cases of High Horsepower (over 800-900 crank) Turbo or SC cars with larger clearances, when I run that pump I do use the newer Camaro pan. 

Its Always a good idea to have what I fit all the cars with a Low Oil pressure kill switch  - no guessing or staring at gauges -  even if you are in a wheelie at 6,000 RPM hit a huge whoop and bounce the car - Lose OP  and it kills ign you won't hurt the engine because of no load while it spins down

I measured today, and that pan wont fit.  I only have 6.5" of room under the pan and the skid plate tapers up pretty quick.  I haven't found a front sump pan that will fit the space I have.  I may have to custom build something if I decide to change it.  The oil pressure switch is a good idea.  Would you mind going into a little more detail on that?  What pressure?  Are you killing the ignition, or coils? 

An L76 pan measured from the block rail to the bottom of the pan is right at 6 1/2", the drain plug boss adds another 1/2" or so. It holds 8qts. Might be enough room for the slope of your skid plate, might have to cut out a section in the skid plate for the drain plug boss, even space it down a bit if necessary. Ain't gonna suck it dry under any circumstance. I've never needed to worry about losing oil pressure.

oil pan.jpg

An L76 pan measured from the block rail to the bottom of the pan is right at 6 1/2", the drain plug boss adds another 1/2" or so. It holds 8qts. Might be enough room for the slope of your skid plate, might have to cut out a section in the skid plate for the drain plug boss, even space it down a bit if necessary. Ain't gonna suck it dry under any circumstance. I've never needed to worry about losing oil pressure.

View attachment 37587
I believe that’s the same pan J Alper was recommending.  I have one here and it measures nearly 7” to the deepest point.

Back