Oil cooler questions

Loboi

Reaction score
With the recent oil temp post I have also been thinking about adding an oil cooler, but my question is how much can the stock oil pump pump.  I have a stock Honda 3.5, (but interested in other engines as well) with a remote filter, with the lines and the large filter it probably added a quart or more oil.  Can I add on to this setup and add a cooler to it?  Can the pump handle this and at what point do you need more/extra pump? What size minimum/maximum for oil cooler?  Thanks

Your factory oil cooler pump should be just fine.  You need to make sure the heat exchanger is large enough to not be restrictive and use large lines.  The fittings end up being the choke point, so a larger line gets you a bigger fitting.

Something like this would be good.  Has -10 fittings and a fan.  I have a couple to put on my TBSS for engine and trans coolers.  For the price they are decent.  It doesn't come with provisions to mount the fan though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your factory oil cooler should be just fine.  You need to make sure the heat exchanger is large enough to not be restrictive and use large lines.  The fittings end up being the choke point, so a larger line gets you a bigger fitting.

Something like this would be good.  Has -10 fittings and a fan.  I have a couple to put on my TBSS for engine and trans coolers.  For the price they are decent.  It doesn't come with provisions to mount the fan though...
Where is the factory oil cooler?

You might be trying to save a problem that doesn't exist. Add an oil temp gauge and see if a cooler is necessary. Then decide to upgrade the radiator to a larger one if possible and/or new fans that pull the maximum CFM.

I'll agree about adding a gauge, but a cooling system that can keep coolant temps in check doesn't mean it will keep oil temps in check.  Your coolant could be 200* and your oil 300*+.

If you were to install an oil temp gauge in any of your transport vehicles you'd be shocked at what they get to with even a moderate load.

I'll agree about adding a gauge, but a cooling system that can keep coolant temps in check doesn't mean it will keep oil temps in check.  Your coolant could be 200* and your oil 300*+.

If you were to install an oil temp gauge in any of your transport vehicles you'd be shocked at what they get to with even a moderate load.
Both of our Duramax trucks have engine oil and trans fluid temp gauges. One has an Edge CTS and one has EFILive.

From my offroad racing career in Class 1 I'd see engine oil temp at 300° constantly, trans at 250°. 

You might be trying to save a problem that doesn't exist. Add an oil temp gauge and see if a cooler is necessary. Then decide to upgrade the radiator to a larger one if possible and/or new fans that pull the maximum CFM.
And if you get a bigger radiator, get one that has a built-in heat exchanger

Both of our Duramax trucks have engine oil and trans fluid temp gauges. One has an Edge CTS and one has EFILive.

From my offroad racing career in Class 1 I'd see engine oil temp at 300° constantly, trans at 250°. 
High-embedibility OEM bearings like Honda uses for longevity when faced with soccer mom abuse don’t tolerate 300*F for long. Race bearings on a fully built motor, sure. 260*F would be my upper limit before an oil cooler is necessary. 

With the recent oil temp post I have also been thinking about adding an oil cooler, but my question is how much can the stock oil pump pump.  I have a stock Honda 3.5, (but interested in other engines as well) with a remote filter, with the lines and the large filter it probably added a quart or more oil.  Can I add on to this setup and add a cooler to it?  Can the pump handle this and at what point do you need more/extra pump? What size minimum/maximum for oil cooler?  Thanks
I did a fair amount of research on this before I added my cooler. Decided to add a separate pump on a switch. I did not want to use the engine oiling system to pump the additional oil up to the cooler. So it is its own separate system.  When the oil hits 180 I hit the switch. Works awesome. If you put a gauge and see your temps are high and decide to put a cooler on I really like the Setrab Oil coolers. They cost more but worth it IMO. My car is sitting in Glamis right now but I do have this pic. You can see the suction line from the pan to the pump. Which then pumps it up to the cooler and then right back into the pan. 

20210426_165115 (1).jpg

Here is a zoomed in shot. Suction to the right and drain back to the left. Super simple to do. I wrap an outer wear around the pump to let it breath but keep the sand out. 

sdfghybrth.jpg

I also have the same pump on the car to recirc tranny fluid to the top of the gear stack.  Or sort of. Don't use this much any more with the S4. Only flip it on if I am climbing a steep hill like Olds or China. 

20211031_190739 (1).jpg

Also notice in the pics for each pump I made a support plate that clamps to the tube and then use rubber isolators so the pumps don't buzz directly through the frame. When changing oil I undo the outgoing fitting from the pump up to the cooler. Gently blow air through it to push the oil out of the cooler back into the pan. Don't get every drop but I think most of it. 

Back