Northstar Rebuild

Icky

Reaction score
Does anyone still work on northstars? Mine is smoking a bit and I figured I'd have it gone through vs replacing with an LS. From what I read head gaskets were a common problem with them. A few builders said they won't touch them anymore. 

In my opinion there isn't much equity in rebuilding the Northstar. Dropping in an LS would make more sense today. Much like the Mazda rotary. Not the popular option with less people supporting them in this sport. 

If a good used Northstar out of another sandcar came available, that could be the affordable and easy option. 

If a good used Northstar out of another sandcar came available, that could be the affordable and easy option. 
Thank you for the suggestions, I'm leaning towards an LS swap, but we'll seen what happens in the next few months.

CHR Fab used to build some badass Northstars. I had one of their twin turbo northstars in my first sand car. That being said, I have no idea if they are still in business, or still building them. I tried googling and couldn’t find any contact info. Maybe someone else that knows can chime in? 

CHR Fab used to build some badass Northstars. I had one of their twin turbo northstars in my first sand car. That being said, I have no idea if they are still in business, or still building them. I tried googling and couldn’t find any contact info. Maybe someone else that knows can chime in? 
From what I saw they went out of business. Supposedly mine was originally built by redline, so I'm not sure what's all in it.

this site if you want to rebuild...he's pretty active on his facebook page too. Looks like there's some repair shops near Sacramento that he recommends?

Northstar Performance - Repair Shop Locations
I was going to reach out to them unless someone had a better option. They're in Canada I believe.

From what I saw they went out of business. Supposedly mine was originally built by redline, so I'm not sure what's all in it.

I was going to reach out to them unless someone had a better option. They're in Canada I believe.
Yes, but he might have shops local he recommends...when i was looking for a replacement engine, they'd pop up on Ebay as being rebuilt and "studded" 

Yes, but he might have shops local he recommends...when i was looking for a replacement engine, they'd pop up on Ebay as being rebuilt and "studded" 
Thank you, I will reach out to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back