New to Sandrails

dn459me1

Reaction score
I’ve recently begun my search for a sand rail. I’ve been going to Glamis for years and, in recent years, I purchased a RZR PRO R 4. However, after seeing sand rails in action, I feel ready to make the switch.

Currently, I’m considering Funco and Tatum as my top options, with a budget in the range of $120K to $200K. I’m looking for a 4-seater, and as a buyer, I prefer not to feel too limited in my choices. This would mainly be for enjoying good times out in Glamis. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You should look around and consider a couple other name brands as well. I would add alumicraft and scu to your search.

Would be helpful to know of any 'must-have' items- Albins or Mendeola S4/5, turbos or super charger, 2 or 4 seat.

Would be helpful to know of any 'must-have' items- Albins or Mendeola S4/5, turbos or super charger, 2 or 4 seat.
I'm looking for a 4-seater sand rail and am open to options at this point. Reliability is my top priority. Since this will be my first sand rail, it's challenging to pinpoint my 'must-haves.' I want to avoid buying multiple used sand rails only to encounter ongoing issues. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking for a 4-seater sand rail and am open to options at this point. Reliability is my top priority. Since this will be my first sand rail, it's challenging to pinpoint my 'must-haves.' I want to avoid buying multiple used sand rails only to encounter ongoing issues. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Buy the best transaxle the budget allows.

Could always build a nice new car with that price point.

AZP concepts has a nice full body car starting around 158

Raw Motorsports has a real nice car starting around 155 I believe. Its the ripper model.

explicit offroad is building some nice cars, unsure on the price point.

sand cars unlimited builds very nice cars, new ownership as of recently but the new owner is doing some really cool updates to the cars.

Funco, well funco is always delivering nice cars. Unsure on price point

Tatum/racer, few options there even heard there coming out with a new car soon might be worth calling and asking about.

Extreme has a good entry level car starting at 125

Sure I am missing a ton of builders

These are all people who have been in the industry for years. Probably couldn't go wrong having any of them build you what you want.

I did pretty extensive research for my new sand car. This was for a new car, not used but much is still relevant to your search:

For that budget I would just build new and get everything exactly the way you want.

For that budget I would just build new and get everything exactly the way you want.
You won't get a new Funco, Tatum, Alumicraft, etc for $200k . Well, unless you strip it down to low power, low $$ trans and virtually nothing extra. Even then I'm not sure you get to $200k. But there are plenty of nice used cars in that range and less.

You won't get a new Funco, Tatum, Alumicraft, etc for $200k . Well, unless you strip it down to low power, low $$ trans and virtually nothing extra. Even then I'm not sure you get to $200k. But there are plenty of nice used cars in that range and less.
Explicit, SCU, AZP, Extreme would be my choices.

I don't think the OP actually knows what they want or even what the options are.

The budget dictates the mid-high to highend cars but there are lots of options
Chassis builder is only one option.
Engine builder, stock-mild-wild options (Ford, Honda V6, Subi, Chevy 4cyl, chevy 6cyl, chevy LS 4.8 to 7.4l turbo or blower options)
Trans builder must match engine option (Weddle HV, Mendeola, Fortin, Albins)
Shocks Fox or King (basic coil-over to quad bypass options)
Basic or Full body, basic to fancy interior

Does anyone else in your group have cars?
this is your most important thing if you think your going to have fun chasing a sxs think again they can make real tight turns which aren't usually fun in a car they will stop anywhere and still get going in 4wd and then your stuck . also if your group is all sxs i would think a funco would be better but if your just at olds and the drags a tatum is a good choice

Allen at Extreme has a Double Throwdown in his shop with custom boxed arms, prepped and ready to go,

Back