New to me project; like i needed another one 😂

Sausage450r

Reaction score
I just picked up this 4 seat chenowth. I’ve had many baja bigs but this is my first buggy. Just going to use it to putter around plaster city ocotillo and coyote wells. 

surprisingly for an older car the chassis has no breaks, cracks. junk repairs. or crappy welds. Frame is in like new factory condition. Its nicely setup, dual battery system, bus trans (002), 1835 w/single weber, 20-25 form fit tank (first thing coming out and getting inspected. Large oil cooler, remote oil filter, nice tubular rear arms. 3/16 this bottom pan, 1/4” engine skid, decent paneling.

first things i know it needs (anyone selling) ; starter is intermittent, i would like to install buckets up front and a bench seat (or maybe bucket pair in the back. The cnc pedals need a rebuild or replaced. It also needs shocks all around 

are there rebuild kits for cnc pedals? They are closed if i recall, i know i should go through the brakes and service the cv’s, anything else?

trailer is not needed (im up to 4 flat beds now) So if anyone needs one let me know. I will probably convert it to a std flat bed and extend it a bit before i sell; unless i get an as is offer

5078FF07-9C93-4BA6-BCC5-63AA978B2C31.jpeg

75901915-3E05-42D7-B553-5819CC154126.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just rebuilt my CNC masters with the rebuild kits from raceready in Chula Vista. So far so good, a lot cheaper than new masters. 
https://www.racereadyproducts.com/cnc-rebuild-kits/cnc-master-cylinder-seal-kits/

You can have my starter, I’m going to get a high torque when I do my swap. 

I also have some random vw and Weber small parts and some Weber gaskets(I think for 40 and 48)and some spark plugs depending what size yours are. If you need any come take a look. 

Is it an 002 trans or 091?

Need a lightbar? This guy had 4 of them mounted to it

I have a bunch of stuff for you Matt....belts......misc stuff......I will put together a bin and get it to you on way out to Glamis / e can do a roadside swap!!!!

Congrats!!! Gonna be FUN!!!

Do a build tread!

:poule:

PS / Paint it Candy Blue!!!  :classic_biggrin:

I also have a box o VW parts that needs liberating from my garage. 

Get some SFI roll bar padding for the diagonal braces. If they’re anything like other Chenowth 4 seat chassis I’ve seen, they’ll end up directly next to the noggin of a mini-Matt. 

For the starter: make sure the big ass starter relay is being powered by a regular relay. I’ve had issues running the starter relay directly off of a switch.  Apparently they draw over 20A initially. 

Finally started sorting this thing out. Its built very nice with alot of thought. The fabwork is topnotch…but they chose form over function.

for starters it has a form fitting 32 gallon!!! Tank. Who needs 32 gallons with an 1835 vw! You cannot reach the batteries or starter without pulling the tank (cant even get a jumper on it).
 You cant pull the tank without pulling the rear seats/rear firewall. You cant pull the seats and firewall without pulling the side panels, rear skid half and shift linkage. Thats effin stupid. 

so first thing; im mounting a 10 gallon tank to it temporarily until i drive the car a bit and decide if its for me or if i should  build another chassis im picking up after new year. If i keep this car i will build a custom tank in the future. Im replacing the seats with new beard buckets and a bench. Mounts will have weld nuts so they can be removed without disassembling the whole car. Rear  firewall will get notched for shift linkage and throttle cable

the car has a dual battery setup with separate isolation switches. I went today to get some new odysseys for it at a battery shop in el cajon; and they talked me out of the odysseys and into a pair of “full throttle” agm’s. They are an odyssey dealer and had them on the shelf but said they are a waste of money when i could get these that come with a 2 year warranty. We will see how they go.

F66C72A3-14AB-42D9-8124-A893774EAD0A.jpeg

While i have the tank out; i got a new hitorque starter for it. 
It looks like the car used to have funco style airbags on the back; so im going to cut out those old mounts and decide if i should keep the onboard air compressor (could come in handy). 
not making alot of progress with schedule and weather (20-30 degrees at night and now i took a week off and its effin raining)

thats like 3 weeks of duning worth of gas.  LOL.

thats like 3 weeks of duning worth of gas.  LOL.
The builder of this car was definitely an over achiever. Shame because fabwork is top notch quality. Seen crappier built tanks in 200k cars

Have a friend looking for a trailer to fit a 2 seat can am. If you still have it or one of your others how much. 

Have a friend looking for a trailer to fit a 2 seat can am. If you still have it or one of your others how much. 
My neighbor claims he wants this trailer for his cj2 jeep. But he’s alot of talk. Let me see if he was serious. If not you are welcome to it as is; or if you would like it customized i can do that too

this trailer is 12’ with a nice locking box on the front. 
other trailer is 8’ but i plan to stretch it to 10’ and 96” wide with a new tongue, railing and drive over fenders. 
i already started cutting apart the 2nd trailer to modify, but been holding with this rain delay

Back